Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Noob and First Time Slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Noob and First Time Slam

We have been battling a green pool all summer long. We basically gave it the finger a few weeks ago and have done nothing to it since. I found this forum over the week and have decided to get aggressive. I bought a Taylor test kit on Friday and started our slam Friday night. We have a 27 foot above ground pool with a sand filter. our pool is in full sun for most of the day. Mostly I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

PH 7.4
    TA 80
    FC 15
    CC <.5
    CYA <30

According to the pool math calculator I should be targeting a FC level of 10 (I estimated CYA to be around 20?) I have not left the FC level drop below 10 since Friday night. I have been running the filter constantly as well as our cleaner robot. I have not scrub it yet because I can't see what I'm doing. I was thinking I would get in and scrub once the water cleared up just a little. I cannot even see the bottom of our pool. We should probably just start calling it a pond at this point. I know this can be a long process and I just want to make sure that I have thought of everything and I'm following the directions for slam thoroughly. Any advice or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Noob and First Time Slam

Test every hour for FC and CC, until your pool maintain your level, then you can test less often, good luck, just remember to backwash when your filter pressure raise 20-25% and scrub every day , the more the better
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Should be pretty easy to brush that AGP without getting in. If it was mine, and water replacement/disposal was not an issue, I'd pump it halfway down and then start again. Too hot this time of year not to be enjoying it as soon as you can and summer is getting shorter!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. We have well water and I think by the time we drained it halfway and then refilled it it will probably take about as long as the slam does anyhow.

I checked my FC levels after an hour and they appear to be dropping by 2 ppm per hour. My CC is still not registering. By my calculations I need to add a gallon of chlorine every 2.5 hours. I've been reading that you all recommend bleach, just wondering why. The stuff I'm using is 10% sodium hypochlorite which I believe is basically bleach?

5. Back To Top    #5

Either is fine, it is the same thing just different percentages, whatever is easier to get and better price. Yes, if you test and add every hour or two that will make your slam go faster. So will getting a net and scooping out all the leaves and stuff and brushing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Brush blindly if you have to. Algae forms a slimy biofilm that protects it from bleach. Brushing scrapes it off so the bleach can kill it. Don't be surprised if your FC drops much more than it has been after you brush.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I brushed the sides about 30 minutes before I tested the FC so I'll test again in an hour. There really isn't any solid matter in the pool to scoop out. How often should I brush down the sides and should I be brushing the bottom as well?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Westerin View Post
    I brushed the sides about 30 minutes before I tested the FC so I'll test again in an hour. There really isn't any solid matter in the pool to scoop out. How often should I brush down the sides and should I be brushing the bottom as well?
    Brush it all at least once a day. If you have anything in the pool like steps or ladders or lights, they should be scrubbed out, too. Also, based on someone else's recent experience, I'd suggest checking the skimmer weir and throat, if you have one. Which brings up an interesting point.... we have no idea how big your pool is or if it's above-ground or in ground or what, and that can affect the advice we give. Please fill out the signature line.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry, I saved the pool size in my first post but did not put it in a signature. I really don't know much about our equipment because it was here when we bought the house, but I posted what I could tell. If the skimmer is the little box that hangs off of the side of the pool, but I have one of those as well. Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any additional information.
    27 foot AGP w/ vinyl liner. Waterway 19 in Sand filter and pump

10. Back To Top    #10

We have a 27 foot above ground pool with a sand filter.---------Yeah Richard, we do. Sig line still requested though!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Is it possible to have the FC too high? I work during the day and was going to put in enough to keep it above 10 until I get home in the evening. Also thought I'd check and make sure that our filter is a sufficient size for our pool. Thanks! I know next to nothing about pools.

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you slamming today? Please post your FC and CC that you have tested today and the time the test was done, so we can see how much ppm are you loosing
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

13. Back To Top    #13

I have been slamming today. I've been testing at hour intervals throughout the day (not hourly) and appear to be losing about 2 ppm per hour. I'm thinking I would need to have it at about 18 PPM when I leave in the morning and can add a gallon or 2 over lunch.

14. Back To Top    #14

Is OK to be a little above the the slam level but I am not sure about 18 I will let others answer that

The corner stone of TFP

15. Back To Top    #15

18 is mustard level chlorine for 30 cya. So, yes you can raise it to 18 before work to help through the day.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach