? about adding glass/abalone shells to stonescapes pebble finish Tropics Blue

Jul 25, 2015
Houston/Texas
We have decided on stonescapes regular pebble blue tropics. We asked our pool builder about adding glass or abalone shells. He said $600 for 1 bag, $1200 for 2 bags and $1800 for 3 bags of glass. We asked how much abalone shells would be and he said almost the same price so we should go with glass. From looking at pictures and reading online it seems adding these make your pool look shiny/wavy. We like the look but dont want to over spend if we don't have to to have the same look.

I read on these forums that the tropics blue already has abalone shells. Does anyone know if this is true and is it worth adding more? If so how much more would be worth it? Also, Does abalone shells really cost close to the same as glass?

What about the price of adding the glass instead of abalone shells? Is $600-$1800 for 10%-30% mixture? Is that too high? and How much would I really need? The pool builder said most people do the 30% for $1800 but he is already charging me $2850 to upgrade from the level 2 Quartzscapes to the stonescapes regular pebble blue tropics.

Kmristin - We are also considering StoneScapes Tropics Blue Mini-Pebbles and were quoted $1000.00 to upgrade from Quartzscapes. We also discussed more abalone shells and/or glass ( Tropics Blue 3 ) the price of a bag of abalone was $100.00 and the upgrade cost to Tropics Blue 3 was $1000.00. He told us that while it all boiled down to personal preference, he felt that the original mix of abalone was enough and would not recommend adding more. As for the glass, his exact quote to us was " Don't waste your money", his reasoning was that it took a lot of glass to really make a difference. Maybe the price difference you were quoted is due to being in a different region - we are in Florida but have you tried negotiating the upgrade cost? I think I would give it a shot, worst case - the price is non-negotiable, best case - a negotiated price might allow you to add more abalone or glass ( or simply save you money for other pool goodies). Good luck!

In case somebody resurrects this post searching for what I was - which is a direct answer as to whether Tropics Blue already has abalone shells in it. I just called npt directly and the lady I spoke with said that a batch of the Tropics Blue contains two bags of abalone shells. I asked whether most customers add more and to her knowledge, they didn't, but did make sure to request that the PB cast them at the end (so that they don't just get hidden at the bottom).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.