Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ? about adding glass/abalone shells to stonescapes pebble finish Tropics Blue

1. Back To Top    #1

? about adding glass/abalone shells to stonescapes pebble finish Tropics Blue

We have decided on stonescapes regular pebble blue tropics. We asked our pool builder about adding glass or abalone shells. He said $600 for 1 bag, $1200 for 2 bags and $1800 for 3 bags of glass. We asked how much abalone shells would be and he said almost the same price so we should go with glass. From looking at pictures and reading online it seems adding these make your pool look shiny/wavy. We like the look but dont want to over spend if we don't have to to have the same look.

I read on these forums that the tropics blue already has abalone shells. Does anyone know if this is true and is it worth adding more? If so how much more would be worth it? Also, Does abalone shells really cost close to the same as glass?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ? about adding glass/abalone shells to stonescapes pebble finish Tropics Blue

That seems like a LOT of money! I THINK I have seen were one person got a bag for $125 (not sure). I would do some searching and see what you can find on your own.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: ? about adding glass/abalone shells to stonescapes pebble finish Tropics Blue

My PB said a bag is shells is $127 and that's what I'm paying. They are price gouging you I think
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!! Do you have any idea how many bags are needed for a 23000 gallon pool? Also do the shells make it rough on your feet?

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't the shells break down and loose the shine in only a few years? Plus some threads about the shells turning black IIRC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

What about the price of adding the glass instead of abalone shells? Is $600-$1800 for 10%-30% mixture? Is that too high? and How much would I really need? The pool builder said most people do the 30% for $1800 but he is already charging me $2850 to upgrade from the level 2 Quartzscapes to the stonescapes regular pebble blue tropics.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have no idea how many you would need. I'm doing one bag and having them focus on the steps and tanning ledge. They don't make it anymore rough than the pebbles and I haven't read about them turning black. Im gonna check that out
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

8. Back To Top    #8

Kmristin - We are also considering StoneScapes Tropics Blue Mini-Pebbles and were quoted $1000.00 to upgrade from Quartzscapes. We also discussed more abalone shells and/or glass ( Tropics Blue 3 ) the price of a bag of abalone was $100.00 and the upgrade cost to Tropics Blue 3 was $1000.00. He told us that while it all boiled down to personal preference, he felt that the original mix of abalone was enough and would not recommend adding more. As for the glass, his exact quote to us was " Don't waste your money", his reasoning was that it took a lot of glass to really make a difference. Maybe the price difference you were quoted is due to being in a different region - we are in Florida but have you tried negotiating the upgrade cost? I think I would give it a shot, worst case - the price is non-negotiable, best case - a negotiated price might allow you to add more abalone or glass ( or simply save you money for other pool goodies). Good luck!

9. Back To Top    #9

I should be $100 for a bag of abalone shells and about $65-100 for the bag of glass beads. Also tell them to throw it on at the end so it's on top and not buried on the bottom