Not hating pools as much - A continuation of I hate pools

Jul 1, 2015
Cartersville, GA
It has been three weeks since I started using a TF100 test kit and 4 weeks since I started reading this forum. I would have never thought in such a short time I would go from absolutely despising the pool to actually enjoying it some.

Our weekly upkeep costs have plummeted dramatically. The only chemicals we are using at this time are household bleach and muriatic acid. The water is the clearest it has ever been in the 12 years of ownership and the work is the least. In the past three weeks all I have had to do is run the cleaner every 10 days and keep a check on the chlorine and ph.

I am spending less than 5 minutes a day average on pool care and the water is super clear and feels great. No water bugs, not algae, no cloudiness, even the leaves and grass seem to be staying away. AND NO MORE TRIPS to the local pool store.

We are absolutely amazed at the difference.

Now I know I still have quite a bit more to learn but understanding what the water is doing and its needs is amazing. I feel in control as compared to being in the dark blindly following the pool store sales people.

Thanks to all those that have spent money, time and energy sharing your knowledge here. It has been of great help to this pool owner and his family.

This has been such a dramatic change that I even told the wife that if it continued to be this easy I would consider an inground gunnite pool in a couple years....I had to pick her up off the floor.

Yea! We are so glad you are enjoying the pool more now! Pool ownership really can be trouble free when you understand how to test and dose the pool only with what it needs. Share this info with any pool owning friends you may have, but they will probably think you are crazy! We would love it if you stick around to encourage other new members who are struggling with their pools. It really helps to hear from someone who has walked a mile in their shoes.

Yea! We are so glad you are enjoying the pool more now! Pool ownership really can be trouble free when you understand how to test and dose the pool only with what it needs. Share this info with any pool owning friends you may have, but they will probably think you are crazy! We would love it if you stick around to encourage other new members who are struggling with their pools. It really helps to hear from someone who has walked a mile in their shoes.

I don't plan on going anywhere. I know I still have lots to learn, it can't always be this easy.

Wait until someone ask you how in the world did you get your pool to look so good...then they look at you like you're nuts when you tell them bleach/muriatic acid!

A friend of mine who has a very nice inground with awesome landscaping is in disbelief. His pool stays cloudy all summer long and is always chasing some issue, just like I was in years past. I've tested his water for him a couple times but can't do it daily. I just about have him talked into a TF100 kit but he is still reluctant. I gave him my tablets, shock and algecide which I think made a strong statement.

I am enjoying it so much better now that I am actually using the pool myself. I've been in it everyday this week.

Thanks again for all of the awesome information being provided.

Awesome! It really is this easy. Actually, I would say it gets easier. We had a couple of Intex pools and now we have an inground pool. Even though I insisted it would never happen. HA! Now, I'm the poolboy! :cool:

The care will get so easy you're actually kind of bored and look for things to do to the pool, LOL.

Glad you're getting in there and enjoying it- the heat we've had these past two weeks has been brutal, hasn't it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep reading this thread over and over. This is what TFP is all about. I have to post psrumors first post.....not such a happy guy with his pool but he was WILLING to give it a go....

I hate pools

New here and am hoping to learn enough to make me hate pools just a little less. Based on all the recommendations my first step was to order a TF100 XL with a Speedstir, this was completed today. With this kit I should be able to know a little more about our water as compared to the $9 test kit from the LPSS.

For some background, when I was 12, 1984, we had a family meeting. The choice was motorcycles / 3wheelers or a pool. Us three kids voted motorcycles, mom voted pool, we got a pool. As the oldest I got the opportunity to take care of a 20x40 gunite pool for the next 6 years, it was miserable. Not automatic cleaner, daily skims, twice week'y brushes, I hated it.

Fast forward to 2003. A family of my own and the wife and 4 kids talk me into a pool. Figured if we got an above ground pool (something I could dispose of) and an automatic cleaner (Tiger Shark) how bad could it be? Well the hatred was still there. One thing I hate is the cost of all the chemicals, every year, every month. Every time you go to the LPSS it is $40 to $400. So now I am looking for a better way, which brought me here.

There seems to be lots of reading to do and I know I need to put my equipment in my sig.

Look forward to my test kit and getting started on just a better way to care for the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.