Good morning, it's been a while since I've been here bc my pool has been a joy to take care of and swim in since I found you guys and all has been well until now....I'm having a hard time getting my PH to stay around 7.4/7.6. My current readings are

FC 4
CC 0
PH 8+
TA 130
CYA 40

last week end I added the recommended amount of muriatic acid and the water dropped to 7.4 over night and stayed there for all of 1 day. Today it is back up over 8 and I'm wondering what the heck to do. Not sure what is causing it to raise all of a sudden. I bought the muriatic acid at Walmart it was called Kleen Green I'm wondering if I need to go to Home Depot or Lowes to get a different kind.

You just have high TA pushing the pH up. If you have a lot of aeration - and that includes swimmers splashing around - pH is going to go up. Add more acid to take pH down to 7.2. That will also lower TA some, which will slow the pH rise and maybe get you a few more days before pH climbs out of range.

Either you added Baking Soda or your refill water has high TA, that's why it just started happening.

Does the label list the strength of the acid on it and did you plug the right amount into pool math. I buy my muriatic acid at the pool store as the bottles at the hardware stores near me are not labeled with the strength. I've read mixed thoughts on Kleen Green so just avoid it altogether.

Perhaps lower your your TA a bit and raise your FC slightly given your CYA of 40. I found once I got my my TA and FC in the right place I had less issues with my pH creeping up as quickly.

What you might need to do is get your TA down. How you do that is push your PH down to 7.2 and then use your returns and such to get the PH back up to push it back down to 7.2 until you get your TA down to 80.

Once you get your TA down to 80 you will have to play with it to see what YOUR pool likes. Mine likes my TA at around 70 to keep my PH happy. Some likes the TA at 100 and some 50. It will take a little time and working on it to find it but once you do it should all find their happy spot and stick.

Of course here is a link to it........

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Kim

Thank you all. I do have a squished out pump lid o-ring and I ordered but it hadn't arrived yet so I do have some air flowing back to the pool thru the jets and with the nice weather we have now I have grandbabies in the pool most everyday so lots of splashing. As far as the Kleen Green there is nothing on the label explaining what your buying that should have been my first clue that maybe something else would have been more useful. So I'll start the process of reducing TA and PH tonight. It's hot already and I know the pool will be in full use today again and I don't like adding muriatic acid if anyone will be swimming in a few hours. I haven't added water in awhile but I'll test my water source for TA and PH before I add more. You all have been most helpful.

With the pump running and adding muriatic acid in front of a return the acid is diluted immediately and is no risk at all in less than a minute. There is no need to worry about that. We recommend waiting 30 min to retest just to make sure all of the pool water is mixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.