well...started my SLAM

Boburk

Jul 25, 2015
Burkburnett/TX
Long story here...but a couple months back we were getting ready to leave town for a week. Had a little algae in the pool so threw some pucks in the skimmer and left. Came back to a green pool. Pool could not hold a chlorine level at all. Pool supply place I was using was not much help. Switched places and wound up going through a sand change, two 50lb buckets of chlorine granules, an algaecide, and some green-to-clear. The last finally turned my pool from green to milky. When I bought it I was also told my stablizer was high (160), but needed high PH for the green to clear...so wanted to use it before draining water.

New guy at pool shop sold me this live culture for my phosphates he told me. Used it went back in a week and was told my phosphates were high again by a different guy...told me the culture was not for phosphates but was for CYA....

Drained and changed half the water. Still would not hold chlorine. Had water tested again and was told my stabilizer was still at 160. Guess the last guy gave me bad numbers.

Pool started turning a little back to green and still would not hold a chlorine level. Ran my bot today. That stirred up the bottom and back to green....but not as bad as it was.

Found this site in the middle of all this and bought a pool test kit at Leslie's yesterday.

Test this morning
Alk 80
CYA 170-180...and stopped testing there.

Tried to drain half the pool again but was not paying attention and went over this.

Retest after filling 515pm
CYA 65
PH 7.4
FC 0

Started the SLAM 4.5 jugs of bleach..shooting for FC of 26PPM

6pm
FC 22.5
CC 2

Added .5 jugs.

730pm
FC 18.5
CC 1

Misread something, only added .5 jugs

915pm
FC 20
CC 1.5

Added 1 jug of bleach

1030pm
FC 22
CC 1.5

Added 2/3 jug.

Have a little over 8 gallons in now...

Still eating chlorine...will see where I am in the morning.

Sean

eg3iip.jpg

Chlorine was $300ish
The CYA culture was $60+
Sand was over $100, but can't remember how much.
Pool test kit was a little under $100.
Water easily be $100+ when the bill comes.
Algaecide was $28ish
Green to clear $28ish
Soda ash to raise PH for green to clear to work ??

12 jugs of bleach $36. I have almost 9 in now, so will need more.

Sean

MarianParoo, Bottles were set there as I started. So the one bottle in the sun was used first. They are in the shadow of the house.

Pabeader, My intent was to check hourly at first. Then widen it as the chlorine stabilizes. I was hoping the pool would be full by 3 to give me 7 good hours of watching it hourly...just didn't work out that way.

Little after 7am now...headed out to check it.

Kit is Leslie's 81329. I think it was listed as the same as K2006.

Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC really depends on when and where you test. The high FC burns off the high CC pretty fast. Still 1.5 is pretty high so we know it is working.

Cool pool! Good progress so far.

I just thought more chlorine would be "attached" to the algae I guess.

Had to run some errands...and just getting back.

330pm on the second day
FC 17
CC 1

Going to add 1 jug....kids want to get in the green pool....

Sean

Edit
530pm...had adjusted for FC 22 so the kids could swim
FC 20.5
CC 1

Added 1/2 jug.

There is still a lot of algae in the water. My pool bot is a "wall scrubber". I ran it yesterday, but not today. Should I scrub it daily now? Or wait until I get the water clearer (can't even see the bottom now).

My steps are cement stairs that are hollow inside them. There is no way to get inside them to scrub.

I have not been taking pics, but have been looking at the steps. It seems clearer than it has been, but still.pretty green.

Did some reading on water bugs...guess they eat algae, so they will probably not die off until the algae does.

Sean

630 am day three...back to working during the day.
FC 18
CC 1

I put 1.5 jugs in, and had my kid dump the other half jug in at lunch time.

Sean

Edit
Should have had the kid dump in more....
430pm 3rd day
FC 14
CC 1

Dumped in 2 bottles of bleach

Water is noticeably clearer now than when I started....but no place close to clear yet.

Sounds like a plan. Sometimes pool stores carry the 0871. If you want, you could call around, although I loathe to suggest a pool store in your case...$$$!!! If they carried the "Taylor-kinda" kit, they may have replacements. Get a big bottle if you do go. No 0.75oz

I checked with the pool store I got my test kit at. They carried some reagents, but not 0870 or 0871. Found out we have a third pool store in town yesterday. I called them and they don't sell Taylor reagents.

My kit came with the .75oz bottle....might have lasted a bit with normal testing, but testing at slam level....not so much. Ordered a 16 of bottle.

Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.