well...started my SLAM

Question on FC consumption during the day vs OCLT during SLAM

Yesterday, I added over 3 bottles of 8.25% chlorine during the day. My last dose was at 930pm and should have taken the pool to 25PPM (didn't test after dosing).

This morning when I tested I got 24.5 PPM FC.

Would it be normal to lose a lot of chlorine during the day at SLAM level, then pass the OCLT? I guess the chlorine could have been stronger than labeled, or I might have messed up the testing...just trying to figure out if I could actually be almost done.

I would not end SLAM until i passed a couple OCLT and testing both after dosing at night and in the morning...just curious about what I saw.

Sean

Re: Question on FC consumption during the day vs OCLT during SLAM

Yes, that is normal. Chlorine is lost to the sun as a percentage of the total chlorine. The higher the FC the higher the loss. Once you pass the 3 SLAM criteria then let your FC drop back to normal and your daytime loss will reduce dramatically.

Pass OCLT
CC < 0.5
Clear water, no algae

Yes, that is normal. Chlorine is lost to the sun as a percentage of the total chlorine. The higher the FC the higher the loss. Once you pass the 3 SLAM criteria then let your FC drop back to normal and your daytime loss will reduce dramatically.

Pass OCLT
CC < 0.5
Clear water, no algae
+1
On a hot sunny day with the kids swimming all day I'll lose up to 4ppm in 24 hours sometimes.

Dom

Thanks.

I will keep better track of it tonight and see what happens. I didn't get a chance to clean it yesterday, which makes me even more surprised at not losing any chlorine last night.

Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the water is very clear. The algae I had was not attached to the sides, etc, it was free floating in the water.

The wind blows here 10-15 MPH every day, and higher is VERY common. What I am trying to say is there is almost always something in the bottom of the pool. Even though I vacuumed the bottom with the bot yesterday, and three of us swam and stirred it up last night, there is still a little sediment in the bottom this morning. No idea if it is dead algae, or just dust that blew into the pool.

I will keep chlorine up for one more day (today), and unless testing is bad tonight, will let it start to drop tomorrow. I will probably maintain it a little high due to conditions here. I am sure I have more stuff eating my chlorine than most folks do. Took six frogs out of the pool yesterday...heh.

Sean

Yeah, mentioned the frogs at work and another guy said he has a bunch too. Thought it was just me.

I live on two acres and have a small pond in the back yard too. I look forward to the bass I put in it getting large enough to solve my frog problem..heh.

I had none in the pool today for some reason...

Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.