Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quiet pump recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape May Court House, NJ

Quiet pump recommendations?

Brand new pool, everything hooked up and running today, filled to capacity, and we can't stand how noisy the pump is! It's a Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump. It's in a shed 12 feet behind the pool and we can hear it whining from inside the house with all of the windows and doors closed, so imagine how loud it is from the pool! Maybe it's because the PB initially had the pipes hooked up backwards and was sucking air through the returns (they were above the water line at the time) and blowing it out through the main drains before he figured out something must be wrong with the plumbing. Maybe that did some damage?

Any recommendations on repair or replace? What do people like for quiet pumps? What about a two-speed or variable-speed pump? Are they more expensive and, if so, are they worth the extra money?
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Quiet pump recommendations?

Single Speed pool pumps are inherently loud and noisy. I doubt there is any damage to it.

A 2 speed or VS pump will be much quieter.
    There are more expensive - shop around on prices.
    Typically the 2 speed will be less expensive than the VS.

Is it worth it? If you are only looking at energy costs, the 2 speed is a better investment. However, the extra features on the VS are nice and that value will vary from individual to individual.

I have a VS pump and I tell ya, its incredible how quiet it is and I love it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

+1 on loving my VS pump.

Pentair has a nice new VS 1.5hp pump, superflo 342001

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I'm sure hayward makes a nice VS pump too,I'm just more familiar with Pentair.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

A VS pump is the way to go. Very quiet and you can tune in the exact speed you want depending on the situation.

5. Back To Top    #5

Upstate, NY

I have a Hayward VS pump and love it. Very quiet.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Long Island, NY

I also have a Hayward VS, switched from a 2HP Super Pump, very quit even at full RPM. Dial it down to lower RPM's and really no sound and $'s savings. I set one of the speeds that uses only 25% of the power that the old pump used yet its still fast enough to keep the pressure high enough for the heater. Check with your power company as they may have rebates for VS pumps.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Lehighton, PA

Our pump was noisy too. All we did was level it. It runs so quiet now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk