Help please

Nensea

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2015
White Bear Lake, MN
I really could use some help. My pool is an18x4 freestanding intex. It's the sixth year I have had an Intex. It went green after a huge storm about two weeks ago. Lots of trees overhead and around it (MN doncha know). I had it tested. Pool store said I just needed chlorine. Added it. Still green. Used Algaecide which didn't make it die and settle so I used more. Same result but then I found out visiting relatives had been in the pool. Once they were gone (the relatives not the algae) it settled and the pool became cloudy. I vacuumed it. I have been changing the filter daily since all of this began. I have added clarifier a few times. Still cloudy. Someone suggested baking soda to clear it up (okay they said baking powder and I told them it would make the pool taller but not clearer). I have a little test kit and it shows chlorine slightly elevated and PH a bit low. I have a giant box of baking soda and I'm not afraid to use it...ok maybe just a little. Any ideas? I really want my clear pool back! Thanks, Nancy

Reactions: Bigrmorale
Hi Nancy! Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your said two things that make the hair on our neck stand-up - green and pool store. Yuck! Your water chlorination if not correct based on your stabilizer (CYA) content. We can help, but you need to do a couple things:
- Go here TFTestkits.net and order a TF-100 test kit. That is a MUST for pool care. YOU are in charge of your pool now. :)
- Don't put anything else in your water except for liquid bleach (about 1/2 gallon each night); take-out any tablets or pucks.
- When you test kit arrives, this is what you will need to do: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Visit our Pool School - Pool School for more info as well. But it all starts with your own proper test kit. We can help. When your kit arrives, please post the following: FC, CC, CYA, TA, PH, and CH.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

When you order the test kit, also select the speed stir. You'll be mixing like a pro and makes things so much easier.

LOL, love the baking powder joke :joker: You need GOOD test results and more chlorine.

Can you get yourself one of the two test kits we recommend- the TF-100 ($68 avail via TFTestkits.net or Poolsupplyworld.com) or the Taylor's K-2006 (~$60 via TFTestkits.net or Amazon, occasionally at local stores). Using one of these two tests means your results are in the same language as we speak :) Pool Stores are NOT reliable for testing (too many variables, and too much incentive to find a problem to sell you the fix for)

Don't add anything else to your pool until you have tests....except bleach (liquid chlorine) to hold it over till we see some test results. Like 1/2-1 gallon/day should keep things at bay.

Really? I was kind of looking for that treatment that magically transforms my pool overnight into a crystal clear oasis. You wouldn't happen to have that would you? It comes with cabana boys and a tiki bar? No? I'm new to the whole bleach thing. Does chlorox work? Thanks! N

Test kit it is. I really like my little kit though. It's like a BFF test kit. Says the PH and chlorine are good all the time and that all is fine and other tests are just jealous!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yay! Tell them the Towels are on the shelf in the shed! Drinks are in the cooler with the watermelon slices.

Our general reply is that you can go in the water when you can see the bottom, and your chlorine is not below your recommend "minimal" level, or above your "SLAM/Shock" level based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. We don't really know what those are right now though. But just adding about 1/2 gallon of bleach each night should be fine. Just let it mix good with the pump on for 30 minutes first. Do you know how many gallons your pool is?

Reactions: Bigrmorale
My pump has been on 24/7 since I set up the pool in the spring. I can see the bottom. When it was green I couldn't. I'll have to look up the gallons. Pool store said 3800 but they didn't even know what Intex was. Should have been warning bells going off at that time right? Let me look it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Idiots! The pool store not you peeps! It's 5400 gallons. I can't say much though cuz I told a co-worker it was like 12,000! Duh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pump has been on 24/7 since I set up the pool in the spring. I can see the bottom. When it was green I couldn't. I'll have to look up the gallons. Pool store said 3800 but they didn't even know what Intex was. Should have been warning bells going off at that time right? Let me look it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Idiots! The pool store not you peeps! It's 5400 gallons. I can't say much though cuz I told a co-worker it was like 12,000! Duh
Welcome.

My Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" is about 6700 gallons.

Dom

Thanks for all of the help! It is really appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

No need to thank us now, this is just the beginning of the help your going to receive. While your waiting on the kit, read and re read if necessary, all the links given with the time you have available. Make sure you communicate with us on this same thread continually throughout the whole process of fixing your pool the TFP way. The main thing is that you've come here and your realize this site is not selling a magic product or two or five, and that 99% of the pool stores, and the chemical companies that supply them are all crazy! This is THE legitimate site that is truly about helping people take care of pools with no frills or gimmicks by taking control of their own pools.

Once you get the test, carefully read and take the measurements (ask if you need to about the testing procedures), and then post them on here; and keep posting updates about what's going on; how the pool is looking; what you've done; and follow-up test results: that's when you're really going to start getting help.

There is going to be some tough work ahead; maybe up to a few days, but your pool will be in great shape when the SLAM is done. The pool store way usually ends with a temporary fix where the pool is pretty clear, and you think everything is okay, but it's not. The procedure for daily maintenance and weekly shocking the pool store way is a totally flawed and insufficient method of pool care. By the time you fix your own pool with our help, your level of understanding will be greatly improved, and you'll realize by then that doing things the TFPC way on a daily basis will prevent you from being back in this same spot ever again. And lastly, you'll understand why the pool store way doesn't work. Their method is about continually managing temporary fixes, no or little regard for managing CYA levels, and trying to compensate with extra products and procedures to make up for under sanitized pools.

Remember to generate a signature via the instructions given above. If you have trouble generating a signature, come back and ask. This helps others help you w/o having to continually ask questions about your pool.

When my pool stayed green I knew the day would come when I'd have to learn all about pools and chemical balance. I've been blissfully ignorant since the season in MN is so short. But the short season is a very good reason to learn how to start it correctly and keep it that way. I figure if I learned about barges from cleaning them, plants from nursery work, drunks from serving them, nuts, bolts and fasteners from selling them, dairy products, feed and crop protection from setting up the trucks, well then this should be a piece of cake since I totally love my pool.
As far as my signature I'm on a cell phone and it doesn't offer me that option. I'll try to find time to do it on my laptop but I usually work about 12-14 hours a day and the rest is in my pool and sleeping but I'll get it done! N

- - - Updated - - -

Gathering signature info now

Still not seeing your pool info in the signature. Have you tried this: Go to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there.

Which test kit did you receive?

Cloudy water means you need to SLAM now. Please prepare to do the following:
- PH reading? Adjust PH to 7.2
- Ideal CYA is 30, but you're very close
- After confirming/adjusting PH to 7.2 and water mixed for 30 minutes - begin SLAM by increasing FC to at least 12 ppm with regular liquid bleach. At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae that may be visible, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting at first to keep the FC from dropping, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

You must keep that FC at 12 at all times. The Poolmath calculator can help you as well.

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. You will want that at 7.2 before the SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

- - - Updated - - -

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent!

- - - Updated - - -

After you get the PH to 7.2, SLAM by taking that FC up to 12 and keep it there until:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

Quick question. Should I vacuum before doing anything else? It needs it as I've been away for a couple of days. Otherwise ready to rock with 3 new filters and a bottle of bleach. Thinking I should vacuum then start adding bleach and scrubbing. Don't want to stir everything up by scrubbing first. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.