Green particles on bottom of pool, won't go away

jephph

Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,
I've had this pool for a couple of years now, and about halfway through the summer, it ends up looking like the attached images. I've tried algaecide, and my wife has vacuumed it a couple times within a week, and it still comes back. Any ideas what it is or how to get rid of it?
Edit:
Levels:
fc 3
ta 100
cya 30
ph 7
Other data unavailable

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

That's dead algae (mixed with live) and it is because your pool is under chlorinated. You are at the right place if you would like to get rid of that forever.....especially if you want to understand what caused it in the first place.

In short, more chlorine is needed in your pool. We need to know your current test results to discover just how much more you need, Can you post them?

I would suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It is a great start to understanding.

Should last a few seasons if stored properly.

With the kit and learning our methods you can guarantee a sparkling pool all summer and not lose precious days/weeks to green water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What test kit are you using?

To eliminate the algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. After passing the 3 criteria to stop, You will need to maintain adequate FC for your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart to prevent the algae from returning (no need for algaecides or potions ;) )
Will balancing the levels make the algae go away, or do I still have to vacuum it out? And since we've already tried vacuuming several times, do I have to vacuum to waste?

Will balancing the levels make the algae go away, or do I still have to vacuum it out? And since we've already tried vacuuming several times, do I have to vacuum to waste?
The SLAM will kill the algae, but removing as much as you can by vacuuming to waste will help the SLAM go quicker.

Please have a read through Pool School, it will really help you understand how to properly care for your pool.

I have basically the same pool setup as yours, and the water sparkles! Since following Trouble Free Pool Care it has never looked better.

You will definitely need one of the recommended test kits. I know it seems like a big cost up front, but it will save you money over the next couple of seasons.

How are you currently chlorinating the pool?

Dom

You don't have too, but it would be helpful to get some of that Algae out before you SLAM, because it will make it easier for your Chlorine to function when you perform the procedure.

But yes, balancing and keeping it balanced will absolute.y make this go away, and stay away. Now and forever.

The SLAM will kill the algae, but removing as much as you can by vacuuming to waste will help the SLAM go quicker.

Please have a read through Pool School, it will really help you understand how to properly care for your pool.

I have basically the same pool setup as yours, and the water sparkles! Since following Trouble Free Pool Care it has never looked better.

You will definitely need one of the recommended test kits. I know it seems like a big cost up front, but it will save you money over the next couple of seasons.

How are you currently chlorinating the pool?

Dom

Bleach from the dollar store. How often do you test with the kit? How long does it take to do all the tests?

When you are SLAMing you test as often as possible...every couple of hours because you want to keep adding bleach to maintain your shock level. Once the initial algae kill occurs and your FC starts holding you can reduce the frequency. The test itself takes a couple of minutes. However long it takes you to get a water sample from your pool and add some drops.

After your water is clear and you pass OCLT you can just test once a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.