Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First summer. Need advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

First summer. Need advice.

First full summer of ownership. 24' above ground. Test water weekly at pool store. Pretty good. Little adjustments here and there. For nearly the last 2 weeks the water has been getting slightly cloudy and Ive been fighting some funk on the bottom of the pool. Added some clarifier. Next day vacumed just through filter. Next day funk on the bottom again. Vacummed to waste to below skimmer then filled again.Looked like maybe I had turned the corner. Starting to look better and not as much funk on the bottom. 2 days later all the funk is back. I dont know what to do. Water test seem to be really good. Pool store isn't trying to sell me anything so it must be good. I have been vacuuming nearly everyday either through the filter or to waste. Then the funk again. Cant figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First summer. Need advice.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Pool store testing is not trusted around here. If you want to take control, I highly suggest investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

I can almost guarantee the funk is due to not enough chlorine. What the pool store will not tell you is that the required FC level is a function of your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart. And at this point you likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome! You'll hear this often here at TFP where we recommend first & foremost you get your own test kit: TFTestkits.net. Pool store testing is marginal at best. Your water is probably cloudy as it struggles from going into a full-blown algae bloom. We use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to manage FC based on your current CYA (stabilizer). SO here's what we would suggest:
    - Order your own test kit from the link above - the TF-100 is outstanding. Ask for the speed stir!
    - Do not put any more chemicals in your pool other than regular chlorine bleach - about 1/2 gallon each evening
    - If you have pucks/tablets in the water, remove them immediately
    - Read the following while you wait for your test kit:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain (This is what will clear your water)

When your kits arrives, post the following: FC, CC CYA, PH, TA and CYA

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhh, Jason beat me to the punch.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Green particles on bottom of pool, won't go away

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

My pool is having the same problem. I was searching to try to find answers. Pic looks just like my stuff on bottom. my last results are
    fac=1
    tac=1
    ch=200
    cya=30
    ta=120
    ph=8
    tds=550
    pho=300
    I could use some advice too. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Those appear to be pool store test results which have repeatedly be proven inaccurate and not reliable. See our posts above for the next steps you should follow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone. Just added half gallon of bleach. More in the morning and Ill be looking for a test kit. Ill post results as soon as i get the kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Should I add the half gallon of bleach everyday till my test kit gets here. Also can i get in the pool to vacuum the junk or is that futile at this point?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Should I add the half gallon of bleach everyday till my test kit gets here. Also can i get in the pool to vacuum the junk or is that futile at this point?
    No, not futile. I would suggest you do both. The Chlorine will kill some algae and getting the dead stuff out is essential. Good thinking!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Vacuuming is important and vital. so is brushing. you might not want to use a good/new/favorite suit, just in case the FC turns out to be a little higher then recommended.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Good thinking. Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

on the pool school FC/CYA chart it shows I need to be at FC=12 for slamming. After using the pool calculator it appears I should add a little over 2 gallons of bleach to reach that level. Problem is I will have added that amount as of Monday morning and my new test kit wont be here till Thurday or Friday to post my results for your advice. What do you guys recommend till then. Thanks for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

a gallon or so is usually recommended as a holding amount while folks wait for their test kits.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

A gallon each day till tested or just one more gallon? Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

A gallon each night until your test kit arrives should be fine, although it would be better for us if you could update your signature with all of your pool info, to include gallon size. Thanks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll vacuum again tonight and add a gallon of bleach each day till test kit gets here later in the week. Thanks again
    24' AG/ 13,500 gl / 1hp Pentair Dynamo pump/ Sand Dollar filter/
    Inline Chlorine Tablet feeder adjustable from 0-10. Vinyl.

15. Back To Top    #15

I know you guys say add nothing but bleach till my test kit arrives Thursday. Sorry but Im getting nervous. Not see much progress with the semi green cloudy water. I have some clarifier on hand. Would it be completely wrong to add a little?

16. Back To Top    #16

This is probably a stupid question but why no chlorine tablets and use bleach instead? I have an inline feeder for the 3 inch tabs that I could crank all the way open. Differance between the tabs and bleach.Once I get my problem solved should I not use the tabs again?

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Simple answer. CYA overload.
    Pucks add CYA. As your CYA goes up you need more chlorine to balance your pool. That's why when folks use pool $tore advice they need to drain and fill their pool every few years.

Since you really don't know your current CYA level you really don't want to be adding more.

18. Back To Top    #18

I just had a water sample done at the pool store and wanted to post results to get your thoughts. This is after 3 gallons of bleach starting Saturday and then added another gallon after getting sample from pool.
    Fac=3
    Tac=3
    Ch=300
    Cya=30
    Ta=20
    Ph=7.6
    Tds=500
    Pho=250.
    Any thoughts you guys?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Unfortunately, very few pool $tore people know how to properly answer the phone, let alone properly test water. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's proven true too many times to ignore. For example, I would bet good money that if you take the same sample back in again after an hour, they will give you completely different results.

That being said, it probably wouldn't hurt to up it to 2 gallons bleach each time.

20. Back To Top    #20

If and this is a big if those numbers are to be trusted you will need to elevate your FC considerably to kill the ongoing algae faster than it can reproduce. But we already kind of knew this as we wait on your kit to arrive.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast