Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air hiss between basket and impeller

1. Back To Top    #1

Air hiss between basket and impeller

Ok. So I think I found how air is getting in my system. I can hear a hiss at the point where the basket attaches to the impeller housing. I see 4 bolts that connect the 2 and there is a small gap in the top middle despite the bolts looking like they are flush where they hold the plates together.

I confirmed by putting my finger over and hearing less of it and then by pouring water over the tiny gap. I can hear it get quiet as it sucks in the water and then back to normal.

I figure this might be an o-ring issue between the 2 parts but should it look like a gap is normal, like the metal is formed that way instead of being flat across?
    11k gal ig vinyl, Challenger 1hp, Heyward 3030 cartridge filter, intermatic PF1103T timer w/ freeze protection, dolphin 4 deluxe.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air hiss between basket and impeller

Picture of gap on top
    11k gal ig vinyl, Challenger 1hp, Heyward 3030 cartridge filter, intermatic PF1103T timer w/ freeze protection, dolphin 4 deluxe.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a sta-rite pump and I think mine has square gasket where yours is leaking air. Could it be missing a gasket there?
    18x36 IG, Vinyl, 20K Gal., Sand Filter, 1HP pool pump, 3/4HP slide pump, Taylor k-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There is a gasket there and it is common for it to fail Replace it, its a cheap fix.

5. Back To Top    #5

Air hiss between basket and impeller

Took me a while, but I got to it and no more suction side leak. No bubbles from returns. Yay!

Btw, oring was broken.