Installation of Auto Fill (Pentair T40FW)

kpischel

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I am about to embark on a DIY project of adding an auto fill to my pool... While I'm pretty handy and taking on such projects doesn't really scare me off, it would be helpful to know how such an installation typically takes place. My pool is about to be resurfaced and the resurfacing guys say just punch a hole through the shell and leave an inch + around the stub-out. Easy enough. And, I'm covering the existing cool-deck with pavers so whacking the cool-deck isn't an issue.

The auto fill comes with instructions but the piece that really isn't addressed is how to "mount" it in the soil. It has connection points to rebar which I assume is meant to keep it stationary... so here are my specific questions which I hope someone can help with:
  1. Should the water supply coming into a slip joint on the bottom of the unit be a threaded elbow so in case of a later leak the pipe can simply be unthreaded and replaced, vs. glued (assume this is a good practice generally, with skimmers, etc)?
  2. How should the unit be mounted? Once plumbed does one merely backfill with soil... doesn't seem that would provide much support. I've read when replacing a skimmer soil (or sand) is backfilled to a point above the plumbing fittings on the bottom, rebar is drilled into the shell for support, and a form is built around the skimmer and filled with concrete. Is the process similar with the autofill? The autofill is somewhat different in that it has an overflow outlet at the top of the autofill which I suppose could be encased in concrete, or stop the concrete below that point.
  3. Separately but related, I live in the Phoenix area... and the water is very hard. I was thinking that I might get a softener for my home and supply the autofill with the softened water... thinking that since there is so much calcium in the water here, and evaporation is such a factor, the calcium concentration would stay relatively constant if topping off with softened water...
  4. any Idea what the sealed white port is for in the pic below? perhaps some other configuration... the adjacent black port is for overflow.
20150725_153406-1.jpg
Thanks for your thoughts!

I was going to install the same unit in my pool but at the last minute changed it to the Jandy Levelor since my skimmers had built in overflow ports.

Not sure on the water supply but something that is serviceable is likely a good idea. Not sure it's a huge deal though if it's fixed.

I was simply going to hammer a long piece of rebar into the ground a few feet away from the pool, affix the unit to that. Then connect it to the 1.5" equalizer pvc coming through the pool wall.

hmmm, I had done some research but hadn't come across leaking. My concern was more about the toilet bowl style float valve. Was concerned it might be more maintenance than it was worth.

You think driving a long 4+ ft rebar into the ground, affixing leveling device to that, then back filling around would is insufficient? I think that should be pretty sturdy...

Hopefully someone with these already installed can comment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.