Pool Light is Tripping the GFCI

Jul 25, 2015
MO
About a month ago I noticed my pool light was not working and noticed that my GFCI was tripped. I tried to reset it but it would not reset. So I replaced the GFCI. I hooked my line power up and the my my secondary (load/Pool light) hit my

breaker and the new GFCI tripped and would not reset. So I did a little experiment and disconnected the load power and had only the line power going to the GFCI. With just line power connected it did not trip and I plugged in several

things which worked without tripping the GFCI. Anyways I have ideas of what could be wrong but I'm not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated. The pool and equipment is 10 years old. My light equipment is FiberStars 6004 Illuminator.

I had a problem where some Bradford Pear tree roots dug up under the pool decking concrete towards the deep end and sucked all the moisture out of the dirt underneath the concrete. The concrete "broke" and started sinking on top of the conduit of the pool light wiring, essentially pinching it and shorting it out. I'm sure my circumstance is very rare, but you just never know. The GFCI's and breakers are rarely faulty (think of them like seat belt locking mechanisms on cars - if they go bad, manufacturers go out of business and a lot of people get sued). For most people's problem with pool lights tripping GFCIs - it's mainly due to leakage over time or especially after a bulb replacement.

The GFCI's and breakers are rarely faulty (think of them like seat belt locking mechanisms on cars - if they go bad, manufacturers go out of business and a lot of people get sued). For most people's problem with pool lights tripping GFCIs - it's mainly due to leakage over time or especially after a bulb replacement.

Outlet GFI's go bad all the time. Thats why they are less than 20 dollars. Breaker style GFIs are a bit more reliable. I don't think this is the case here though. I think your problem lies with the Fiberstars. Most of the FS boxes have a toggle switch right on them. If your GFI is tripping with the switches on the box turned off, it is either the x-former on the FS, or the wiring to it. If it holds then trips when you flip the switches it is the bulb or the on board electronics.
Good Luck.

Heard an electrician say to customer "No the GFCI is working, that's why you're still alive".

I remember way back when I was a teen I needed power out in the back yard for something (don't remember much from those days). I plugged in an extension cordinto one of those new fangled GFCI recepticles in the garage. It immediately tripped. Tried to reset it and no joy. Figuring there must have been something wrong with the GFCI (it couldn't possibly be the two-gang metal box I wired onto the end of the cord) I abandoned the GFCI and went for one in the house. When I got back outside and picked up the metal box on the end of the cord I got knocked onto my butt big time. It seems that darn contraption in the garage actually did work.

Not sure what happened to this thread but several of the posts now appear missing (including one of mine) and the thread no longer makes much sense. Is there any way to tell how this topic got all jumbled up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think there was another poster with an electrical problem that piggybacked onto this one. I believe it was split out onto it's own thread. This post is pretty well done as the OP has never been back. They are what I refer to as a Google Poster...Submit a post/question and expect an immediate answer then forget what forum they posted on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.