Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light is Tripping the GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light is Tripping the GFCI

About a month ago I noticed my pool light was not working and noticed that my GFCI was tripped. I tried to reset it but it would not reset. So I replaced the GFCI. I hooked my line power up and the my my secondary (load/Pool light) hit my

breaker and the new GFCI tripped and would not reset. So I did a little experiment and disconnected the load power and had only the line power going to the GFCI. With just line power connected it did not trip and I plugged in several

things which worked without tripping the GFCI. Anyways I have ideas of what could be wrong but I'm not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated. The pool and equipment is 10 years old. My light equipment is FiberStars 6004 Illuminator.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Light is Tripping the GFCI

Sounds like the GCI is doing it's job. Somewhere between the GFCI and the pool light there is some current leakage. Could be the light itself is leaking or there is a damaged wire.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

of course, if it is a 12 volt light, then the problem will only be between the GFCI and the transformer (including the primary side of the transformer)
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Heard an electrician say to customer "No the GFCI is working, that's why you're still alive".
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a problem where some Bradford Pear tree roots dug up under the pool decking concrete towards the deep end and sucked all the moisture out of the dirt underneath the concrete. The concrete "broke" and started sinking on top of the conduit of the pool light wiring, essentially pinching it and shorting it out. I'm sure my circumstance is very rare, but you just never know. The GFCI's and breakers are rarely faulty (think of them like seat belt locking mechanisms on cars - if they go bad, manufacturers go out of business and a lot of people get sued). For most people's problem with pool lights tripping GFCIs - it's mainly due to leakage over time or especially after a bulb replacement.
    16,500 Gallon Rectangular Vinyl Pool; Aquarite SWCG T-15

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1217 View Post
    The GFCI's and breakers are rarely faulty (think of them like seat belt locking mechanisms on cars - if they go bad, manufacturers go out of business and a lot of people get sued). For most people's problem with pool lights tripping GFCIs - it's mainly due to leakage over time or especially after a bulb replacement.
    Outlet GFI's go bad all the time. Thats why they are less than 20 dollars. Breaker style GFIs are a bit more reliable. I don't think this is the case here though. I think your problem lies with the Fiberstars. Most of the FS boxes have a toggle switch right on them. If your GFI is tripping with the switches on the box turned off, it is either the x-former on the FS, or the wiring to it. If it holds then trips when you flip the switches it is the bulb or the on board electronics.
    Good Luck.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

For $5 to $10, plug-in receptacle testers are well worth the cost. They can quickly identify mis-wiring and really are helpful for the home "electrician".
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    Outlet GFI's go bad all the time. Thats why they are less than 20 dollars. Breaker style GFIs are a bit more reliable.
    True, what I meant was more along the lines of, a lot of people quickly assume a faulty GFI/breaker after a pool light replacement because it's easy to blame and replace. But yes, GFI outlets can go bad, and especially when exposed to the elements.
    16,500 Gallon Rectangular Vinyl Pool; Aquarite SWCG T-15

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by weird_tolkienish_f View Post
    Heard an electrician say to customer "No the GFCI is working, that's why you're still alive".
    I remember way back when I was a teen I needed power out in the back yard for something (don't remember much from those days). I plugged in an extension cordinto one of those new fangled GFCI recepticles in the garage. It immediately tripped. Tried to reset it and no joy. Figuring there must have been something wrong with the GFCI (it couldn't possibly be the two-gang metal box I wired onto the end of the cord) I abandoned the GFCI and went for one in the house. When I got back outside and picked up the metal box on the end of the cord I got knocked onto my butt big time. It seems that darn contraption in the garage actually did work.

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what happened to this thread but several of the posts now appear missing (including one of mine) and the thread no longer makes much sense. Is there any way to tell how this topic got all jumbled up?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I think there was another poster with an electrical problem that piggybacked onto this one. I believe it was split out onto it's own thread. This post is pretty well done as the OP has never been back. They are what I refer to as a Google Poster...Submit a post/question and expect an immediate answer then forget what forum they posted on.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ah-ha. That makes sense and yes, I do remember there was some strangeness with another poster. My subscription must have stayed with what remained after the split. Thanks!