Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy, green pool...question about bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy, green pool...question about bleach

I have a 15x48 Intex metal frame which has only been up about 3 weeks. I was using the 1000gph pump that came with it and chlorine tablets. I noticed about a week ago that it was getting cloudy so I took water to the pool store and had it tested, they told me I needed to reduce my ph some, shock it, and add some water clarifier. Well none of that worked and two days later it turned green. I did some googling, came to this forum, and realized I had no idea what I was doing. So I ordered the 2500gph pump, K-2006 kit, and Kem-Tek chlorinating granules I read about here. It should all be delivered Monday. In the meantime for the past 2 days I've been running the 1000gph nonstop and adding a gallon of bleach per day. I just don't know how much bleach I should be dumping in since I don't have the testing kit yet. Can I do 2 gallons a day? More? I want to make the best effort I can with what I have atm. Dumping and refilling is not an option right now.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Aimee
    Intex 15x48 4,440g
    Intex 2500gph pump (on the way!!)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy, green pool...question about bleach

Welcome to TFP!

With a pool your size a gallon of 8.25% raises your FC by 19 points, so I definitely wouldn't add more than that without a good idea what your CYA is. Any idea what specific shock you used when you shocked it?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cloudy, green pool...question about bleach

Mega I think...a red and white bag. Just an individual pack I picked up at the store.