New pump time

Jul 25, 2015
Albany ny
My pool pump has gotten very noisy and it's time for a replacement (this one is about 10 years old from what I can tell).

I have a rectangular pool 20x40 so about 33k gallons with 1.5 inch piping. The current motor is a pinnacle 1 hp single speed. The previous homeowner was running the pump 24/7 for the 5 month season.

I'd like to find out your opinions on switching to a pentair whisperflo 2 speed 1hp. From what I've read, I should be able to run this on low during the day and then high at night. Any other recommendations? Do these have a timer for switching?

I honestly don't have a problem with a single speed but my goal is quieter and under $600 - I have no issues continuing to run it 24/7.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the pump itself is still fine, it would be cheaper and easier to just install a 2-speed motor on your existing pump (no plumbing required). Just add an external switch to manually select speed and generally leave it on low all the time, except when you are vacuuming or backwashing.

There is also no reason to be running a pump more than about 4-6 hours per day typically. See this: Determine Pump Run Time

If you do not have a timer, then I would suggesting adding one for on/off control. Optionally, you can add another timer to automatically change speeds.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What is the HP and SF listed on your current motor? The new one must be at least that size or you would need to add a smaller impeller.

Also note you need to replace the shaft seal when you change the motor.

OK, so the smaller 1.25 HP motor is all you need (the bigger motor would work with your existing impeller, but just costs more although not much) and seems like that shaft seal should work.

There are also go-kits that include all the seals in the pump plus the shaft seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the new motor installed and I'm getting a fault 7 error code which it says over current fault - disconnecting power and rotate the shaft.

So turns out A.O. Smith (Century motors) is hiding a bit of information here. Nothing in the manual (or common sense) says that when this error occurs it means a defective unit - essential DOA. I'm really disappointed that they don't mention this.

Luckily, I've called Century and they're sending me a new motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.