Low Chlo due to Phos and Nit - WHY?

Jul 25, 2015
Cape Coral , Fl
Hello, we have a haywood salt pool, two years old. Today we find out that chlo is none and phos is 1500 ppb / Nit -35 ppm.

Below is a copy of water tested, any ideas on the best way to handle this?

They recommended draining pool and refilling

As of now system to set to 80% and super chlo

already added the 3.5 gal of chol and the 10lb of alka

Thanks Rich

Attachments

• IMG_7627.jpg
    IMG_7627.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 57
Is your pool vinyl or plaster/gunnite? Tell us more about your pool and equipment? Do you ever do your own water testing?

Ignore Phosphate and Nitrogen levels- they're meaningless IF you have and maintain proper chlorine levels for your pool (based on how much CYA you have)

How's the water look? Get some chlorine in there STAT or you'll be looking at algae :( Use household bleach if you've got it. I can't tell you how much without knowing the size of your pool. If you use the Pool Math Calculator (found up at the top of this page) you can enter in your numbers and it will advise you on amounts and how things look.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Did they say why they want you to drain and refill? Why on earth would they have you add those chemicals then drain all the water out? Your calcium is 300+ according to their tests. We need to know exactly how high the calcium may be. If you have high calcium you can manage it by keeping the pH 7.0-7.2 and the TA around 70. If you let the pH get over 8.0 you may develop scale if the calcium is too high. We really don't think of calcium as too high until it gets around 400ppm. You do need the liquid chlorine in the pool until your SWG is able to keep up production. How does the water look right now?

We strongly advocate taking control of your pool with frequent testing using a high quality test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . These test kits allow you to test more accurately than most pool stores testing since there will be consistency in how the tests are conducted and who is interpreting the results. Accurate testing allows you to only add what the pool needs and you won't get advice like "add this, this, and this, but then drain the pool because that is too high".

Hello and welcome to TFP!

Hello, we have a haywood salt pool, two years old. Today we find out that chlo is none and phos is 1500 ppb / Nit -35 ppm.

Please ignore Phosphates/Nitrates (You're not managing a reef aquarium) and it is a bunch of hogwash otherwise!

Below is a copy of water tested, any ideas on the best way to handle this?

They recommended draining pool and refilling

DO NOT drain your pool...your results, if accurate, are not too bad other than no chlorine. I would not add stabilizer just yet. If you have to SLAM that pool you will want your CYA to be where it is at now. The best advice I can offer is to tell your pool guy to take a break and try managing the pool yourself. This will require 3 things: a small amount of your time, a proper test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF-100), and only the chemicals recommended by the experts on this website. You will save a ton of money and you will have a pool that looks stunning! In the meantime please add your pool info to your signature (total gallons, equipment, filter type, above ground/in ground, vinyl or gunite). This well help us help you! The number one thing on your list should be to keep chlorine in your pool. Adding one gallon of bleach a day should not hurt anything until you can get your test kit. Read Pool School and get familiar with some of the things we do to keep our pools in order. Did I mention you should get a good test kit? Order that sucker, just do it, you will be glad you did!

Typically Pool Store/Pool Guy advice is incompatible with our advice. You will need to pick a method and stay with that method. I sure hope you stay on here, because our methods WORK...and it is based on FACT not BS.

Welcome to TFP!

That is what we commonly call being pool stored. They tell you a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense and try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Here is how we maintain pools. Test your own water with a great test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Then only add what your pool needs. And you know what to add, why you are adding it and what the results will be after you add it.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you started.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals what they are, what they do and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

What you should do is get out of that pool store and stay out. Buy a TF100 (check link in my Sig) and start testing your water and not relying on a store that's going to feed you balogna n sell you a bunch of lies so they can rip you off. And of course they aren't going to tell you that but I will, along with Every other person here whose holding 5-8ppm of FC in their Crystal clear pools. Not one of us bat an eye at phosphates n nitrates. We just swim n enjoy our pools and you can too by following TFPC.

See those links in my signature. I put them there so you can get at what's most important. Check them out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.