Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could I have accidentally transferred algae into my pool??????

1. Back To Top    #1

Could I have accidentally transferred algae into my pool??????

I assumed the brownish sticky ring around the side of my pool and foamy bubbles were from the algaecide I used a couple of days ago. I started thinking -------about a week or so ago I retrieved a float that flew out during a storm. It was sitting on a very small natural spring area in our yard. There was the same brown sticky tar-like stuff on the bottom of it. I tried to get it off, but figured it would just eventually go away when it was back in the pool. Do you think this is where this situation came from? Or that maybe the algaecide I used reacted with this in some way?

I changed the filter last night, added more chlorine and scrubbed the ring off the sides. Today--the foam is gone as well as the ring.

**Clorox Green algae eliminator**Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides 68424-85-1water 7732-18-5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could I have accidentally transferred algae into my pool??????

It is certainly possible to introduce algae in that manner. There are some members that live on a lake and could transfer algae on their swim suits between the lake and the pool.

In any case, chlorine is the solution. But, why are you using an algaecide in the first place? They are typically not recommended (or required) by TFP.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am so so thankful for this site!!

Beginning to understand this finally!!! Added algaecide because it rained a ton.......now I know I just need to replace the chlorine...right?

With that said I was about to add some clorox......how much should I use? Ours is 14X48 so around 3,700 gallons I believe...does that sound right to you?

Just tested and PH is 7.5
    Chlorine is 1-2 ugh

4. Back To Top    #4

The required FC level is a function of your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart.

You can use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is required for a desired rise in FC level.

For a pool your size, you might consider following the Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide if you do not have one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much! I've been on here reading a ton. Just added 2.5 cups of bleach which was um- thankfully correct as I checked your calculator AFTER I added it. I'll get this all down at some point. To double check-----Bleach is 'king' basically right?? As well as testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine is king. Bleach is one method of adding it. You just need to maintain the correct FC level depending on your CYA level and your pool will stay clear and safe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SC83 View Post
    Thank you so much! I've been on here reading a ton. Just added 2.5 cups of bleach which was um- thankfully correct as I checked your calculator AFTER I added it. I'll get this all down at some point. To double check-----Bleach is 'king' basically right?? As well as testing
    A proper test kit is "King". Without it you are blind to what your pool needs.

How have you been chlorinating previously?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

hey!! Just now looked at what types of chlorine I've used----we have 5&6 yr old boys so I don't get a whole lotta time to do well anything! lol

Crystal Clear---sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione hydrated

KemTek- sodium hypochlorite 10%

9. Back To Top    #9

Go easy on the "Crystal Clear" unless you're also desiring of more CYA in the water. The KemTek 10% is perfect!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

awesome thnaks!!!