Filtering problems

UKnick

Jul 10, 2015
Hampshire uk
I'm a new owner of an old pool so I'm very new to a lot of what goes on with running one.

I went through the opening of the pool at the start of the season in May, which seemed to go okay but I noticed that I needed to vacuum the pool out again a lot quicker than I thought. I went on like this for a while then noticed that the inlet was throwing dirt back in to the pool and has been getting worse since. So I changed the sand, checked the laterals and replaced the spider gasket (which was extremely worn). Because I had to wait a while the pool didn't get pumped so it went green but I've been able to get that back to a cloudy blue.

Unfortunately the pool is still not filtering correctly. I've just tried to vacuum it which started out fine but after a minute or so the pump began struggling and the pressure dropped. I turned it off then back on again and it threw everything back into the pool via the inlet and the pressure returned to normal. It may be worth noting that I had a problem priming the pump so I flushed out the skimmer pipe a few days ago and then it primed fine.

Is there something else I should check?

Many thanks,

Nick

When you were putting the sand back in did you make sure you did NOT get ANY sand down the pipe? Did you fill up the filter 1/2 way with water before you put the sand in? Did you use GREAT care in putting the sand in?

If you are not 100% sure of these questions you might want to check to make sure your filter does not have a cracked lateral or sand where it does not belong.

Kim

If the pool is green and you are trying to vacuum up live algae, it is not surprising that the pressure rose and the water flow slowed down because the filter was doing its job ... catching stuff in the water.

You can NOT clean up a green pool with a filter as the algae will continue to grow. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to kill the algae faster than it can grow and then the filter can capture the dead algae.

+1 what jblizzle said. A filter will pick up the debris you send to it. In your case, it sounds like it is filling up and, when it can't hold anymore, it overflows and spits it back out.

You should SLAM your pool and get it free of algae and your filter will go far longer without needing cleaning.

Thanks Kim. I covered over the pipe with tape, put water in before and put the sand in gradually. I watched some videos showing the process and copied that. If I get the time later in the week I'll empty the filter to double check the laterals.

Thanks jblizzle. The pool is no longer green, but cloudy I'm pretty sure everything is dead and I'm keeping it clear of leaves and other organic matter. When I tried to vacuum it yesterday the water pressure dropped, not rose. I think there may be a problem with the multi port and I've got unfiltered water leaking straight back to the water outlet to the pool, any idea how I could check that?

Many thanks

Have you backwashed your filter?

When you backwash you need to rinse before you put it back on filter.

When you move your filter lever you should only move it in one direction. I go clockwise. This helps the gasket not get pinched or messed up.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I have regularly backwashed as needed and rinsed before returning to filtration.

There is a lot of free play in the handle when you depress it before you feel the tension of the spring is that normal or does it point to the spring being defective?

Nick

Hi Kim,

I have regularly backwashed as needed and rinsed before returning to filtration.

There is a lot of free play in the handle when you depress it before you feel the tension of the spring is that normal or does it point to the spring being defective?

Nick

Might have to replace the spring.
My new spider gasket came with a new spring. (The old one was broken!!) I had the same problem
Make sure the spider gasket is in the correct location, and the seal is in the right place.
Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks jblizzle. The pool is no longer green, but cloudy I'm pretty sure everything is dead and I'm keeping it clear of leaves and other organic matter. When I tried to vacuum it yesterday the water pressure dropped, not rose. I think there may be a problem with the multi port and I've got unfiltered water leaking straight back to the water outlet to the pool, any idea how I could check that?

Many thanks
You can't guess with algae, how did you determine "everything is dead"?

......... You should SLAM your pool and get it free of algae and your filter will go far longer without needing cleaning.
That's good advice right there!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.