Jcgaz pool, won't hold chlorine

jcgaz

Jul 19, 2015
St. Clairsville
Help! I've been dealing with zero chlorine levels for a month. I've added so much shock, phos free, algaecide, etc. upon the advice of my pool store. I've used the boost setting on my SWG as well, but still no chlorine registering. For the past three nights, I've just been adding one gallon of bleach until my Taylor test kit came in. The pool store said my phosphate levels were over 1000, so I treated with phos-free, and they want me to buy more phos-free! No matter how much shock I add, it is gone the next day. Now, the pool walls are starting to get a little algae on the deep side. Pool is clear. Pool water temp is 80. Climate outside is warm, 80's, no rain past couple days but lots of rain the week before. I am thinking I might need to follow the SLAM instructions on this site, but wanted to get your advice. I also see that I need to add salt, but not sure how much. Also, heard that water softener salt might be fine to use? I am looking for the cheapest place to buy bleach as well, and wondering how much I should anticipate to use.
I bought a Taylor water test kit, upon recommendation of this site, and here are my results:
FC 0
CC .8
pH 7.6
Alk 180
CH 320
CYA 40
Sat Index 0.55
Salt 2420

I just read through all the SLAM instructions. I have a SWG, and it says to look at the chart to see what to bring the correct FC up to. My CYA level is only 40. So do I need to bring the CYA level up before I can slam? According to this chart, the CYA level for SWG should be 70 or 80. But according to my SWG instructions, the ideal CYA level is 40. When I last added CYA, it did not seem to bring up the CYA level. Where do I start? I want to do this over the weekend since I work long days during the week.

You need to leave that CYA alone until *after* any SLAM is finished. Your CYA is ideal for a SLAM right now as it will require less chlorine.

Stay out of the pool store- who can afford all those potions and lotions that don't work anyway???? Go buy lots of bleach/liquid chlorine and read through the SLAM directions.

Holler back with any new questions :)

OK, have the SLAM instructions printed, bought 15 gallons of bleach (KMart 1.99/gallon). I added 5 gallons at 1030 and will retest at 1130. I'm not sure how much to add- or even if my 15 gallons is enough or is it overkill? Will see what the 1130 reading is. Thanks!

1130 readings are FC .4 and CC 1.4. I added 3 more gallons of bleach. Will do numbers again around 1.
I also added two bags of salt.
It is getting hot, sun shining- so wonder if that will hamper my progress?
Pool is a little cloudy.
I also cleaned the tiger-shark parts with bleach, and put it in the pool.
Pump pressures are staying nice. No increase.
Am I on the right track?

What % is the bleach you bought? I'm a little concerned as 1.99 at kmart is actually pretty cheap so you may have some low percentage bleach there. Not technically bad but the weaker it is the more you need.

Are you using the pool math calculator to figure out your bleach addition? Don't guestimate your additions. You're targeting 16 FC right? Pool Math will tell you exactly how much bleach to add to get there.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Bleach is 6%.
Using pool math- oops I forgot. Now I am on track and it is making more sense.
2pm readings:
FC 0.2, CC 0.8
Followed directions, and added 7 gallons of 6% bleach. Off to the store for more bleach...
will recheck again soon. I also need to take apart my light, and I am brushing all my ladders. I don't see any algae, but seems like the right thing to do.
Am I on the right track now?

Bleach is 6%.
Using pool math- oops I forgot. Now I am on track and it is making more sense.
2pm readings:
FC 0.2, CC 0.8
Followed directions, and added 7 gallons of 6% bleach. Off to the store for more bleach...
will recheck again soon. I also need to take apart my light, and I am brushing all my ladders. I don't see any algae, but seems like the right thing to do.
Am I on the right track now?
Sounds like you're heading the right direction. You will use a LOT of bleach initially. It will almost seem it gets used up as fast as you can open jugs and pour it. The thirst will decrease as you start to get ahead of the algae. Get it up to shock level and keep it there. This is a battle to the death. No love taps. You want a knockdown punch. And while the algae is down, you want to kick it again and again and again until it's dead and can't ever get up again.

:goodjob: on the light. If the ladder has weights, check them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure your SWG is off during the SLAM but your salt level needs to be over 3000. Mine shuts off lower than 2600 (vould be why you weren't seeing chlorine).

4:10pm readings FC 5.0 CC 1.0
Will add 3 3/4 gallons bleach
I have used about 20 gallons of bleach!
Pool still cloudy. No visible algae. Pool water is 83 degrees. Sun out.

also, SWG has been off...and I did buy more salt to add. I'll do that now.
Thanks!

You need to get that FC back to your SLAM level of 16, and it is safe to swim up to the SLAM level, but your CC's are at 1 which is not good. You're also cloudy still.

Perhaps that lower concentration bleach you're buying isn't even 6% anymore? Since most places have gone up to 8.25% being the standard, discounted bleach might not be a very good bargain after all. Do you belong to Sams Club or Costco? Theyv'e got some big honking bottles of fresh strong bleach 3x121ounce bottles for $9. That's not too shabby IMO. Worth a try?

I switched to 8% for the last addition, and the next time I will use the 13.3 (all the store had) from the pool section of Walmart.
I'll stop at SAMS on my way home from work tonight.
Is it OK to stop during the night? What do you anticipate will happen? I don't want to have to start over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.