Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jcgaz pool, won't hold chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Jcgaz pool, won't hold chlorine

Help! I've been dealing with zero chlorine levels for a month. I've added so much shock, phos free, algaecide, etc. upon the advice of my pool store. I've used the boost setting on my SWG as well, but still no chlorine registering. For the past three nights, I've just been adding one gallon of bleach until my Taylor test kit came in. The pool store said my phosphate levels were over 1000, so I treated with phos-free, and they want me to buy more phos-free! No matter how much shock I add, it is gone the next day. Now, the pool walls are starting to get a little algae on the deep side. Pool is clear. Pool water temp is 80. Climate outside is warm, 80's, no rain past couple days but lots of rain the week before. I am thinking I might need to follow the SLAM instructions on this site, but wanted to get your advice. I also see that I need to add salt, but not sure how much. Also, heard that water softener salt might be fine to use? I am looking for the cheapest place to buy bleach as well, and wondering how much I should anticipate to use.
    I bought a Taylor water test kit, upon recommendation of this site, and here are my results:
    FC 0
    CC .8
    pH 7.6
    Alk 180
    CH 320
    CYA 40
    Sat Index 0.55
    Salt 2420
    Jcgaz
    18x36 inground, with liner, 28000 gallons
    solar cover, used sometimes
    Hayward Perflex EC65A DE filter
    Resilience A5 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jcgaz pool, won't hold chlorine

I just read through all the SLAM instructions. I have a SWG, and it says to look at the chart to see what to bring the correct FC up to. My CYA level is only 40. So do I need to bring the CYA level up before I can slam? According to this chart, the CYA level for SWG should be 70 or 80. But according to my SWG instructions, the ideal CYA level is 40. When I last added CYA, it did not seem to bring up the CYA level. Where do I start? I want to do this over the weekend since I work long days during the week.
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to leave that CYA alone until *after* any SLAM is finished. Your CYA is ideal for a SLAM right now as it will require less chlorine.

Stay out of the pool store- who can afford all those potions and lotions that don't work anyway???? Go buy lots of bleach/liquid chlorine and read through the SLAM directions.

Holler back with any new questions
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

You have a bleach pool for now. Leave the CYA alone and use the shock level for your CYA which is 16. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Keep it up there as consistently as you can manage according to the instructions in Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Don't be alarmed if your CC level goes up instead of down initially.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, have the SLAM instructions printed, bought 15 gallons of bleach (KMart 1.99/gallon). I added 5 gallons at 1030 and will retest at 1130. I'm not sure how much to add- or even if my 15 gallons is enough or is it overkill? Will see what the 1130 reading is. Thanks!
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

1130 readings are FC .4 and CC 1.4. I added 3 more gallons of bleach. Will do numbers again around 1.
    I also added two bags of salt.
    It is getting hot, sun shining- so wonder if that will hamper my progress?
    Pool is a little cloudy.
    I also cleaned the tiger-shark parts with bleach, and put it in the pool.
    Pump pressures are staying nice. No increase.
    Am I on the right track?
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

What % is the bleach you bought? I'm a little concerned as 1.99 at kmart is actually pretty cheap so you may have some low percentage bleach there. Not technically bad but the weaker it is the more you need.

Are you using the pool math calculator to figure out your bleach addition? Don't guestimate your additions. You're targeting 16 FC right? Pool Math will tell you exactly how much bleach to add to get there.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

Bleach is 6%.
    Using pool math- oops I forgot. Now I am on track and it is making more sense.
    2pm readings:
    FC 0.2, CC 0.8
    Followed directions, and added 7 gallons of 6% bleach. Off to the store for more bleach...
    will recheck again soon. I also need to take apart my light, and I am brushing all my ladders. I don't see any algae, but seems like the right thing to do.
    Am I on the right track now?
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Use Pool School - PoolMath to calculate how much bleach/chlorine to add to get FC up to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart.

Not getting FC up near shock level is a waste of bleach and will not kill the algae. Add bleach and test 15-20 minutes later to verify that it got up to 16. If not, add more and test again.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jcgaz View Post
    Bleach is 6%.
    Using pool math- oops I forgot. Now I am on track and it is making more sense.
    2pm readings:
    FC 0.2, CC 0.8
    Followed directions, and added 7 gallons of 6% bleach. Off to the store for more bleach...
    will recheck again soon. I also need to take apart my light, and I am brushing all my ladders. I don't see any algae, but seems like the right thing to do.
    Am I on the right track now?
    Sounds like you're heading the right direction. You will use a LOT of bleach initially. It will almost seem it gets used up as fast as you can open jugs and pour it. The thirst will decrease as you start to get ahead of the algae. Get it up to shock level and keep it there. This is a battle to the death. No love taps. You want a knockdown punch. And while the algae is down, you want to kick it again and again and again until it's dead and can't ever get up again.

on the light. If the ladder has weights, check them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

3pm readings: FC 4.4, CC 1.0. Pool math says add 5 1/3 gallons bleach. Off to add more bleach...then back to the store. I'm pretty sure the store clerk thinks I'm up to no good.
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Make sure your SWG is off during the SLAM but your salt level needs to be over 3000. Mine shuts off lower than 2600 (vould be why you weren't seeing chlorine).
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

4:10pm readings FC 5.0 CC 1.0
    Will add 3 3/4 gallons bleach
    I have used about 20 gallons of bleach!
    Pool still cloudy. No visible algae. Pool water is 83 degrees. Sun out.

also, SWG has been off...and I did buy more salt to add. I'll do that now.
    Thanks!
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

My kids want to swim. Is it safe? FC 5, CC 1
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

5:10pm readings
    FC 7.5 CC 1.0 Pool Math says add 3 gallons bleach.
    That's 27 gallons of bleach so far! Am I getting close?
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

what happens if I stop for the night? Will I have to start over?
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

You need to get that FC back to your SLAM level of 16, and it is safe to swim up to the SLAM level, but your CC's are at 1 which is not good. You're also cloudy still.

Perhaps that lower concentration bleach you're buying isn't even 6% anymore? Since most places have gone up to 8.25% being the standard, discounted bleach might not be a very good bargain after all. Do you belong to Sams Club or Costco? Theyv'e got some big honking bottles of fresh strong bleach 3x121ounce bottles for $9. That's not too shabby IMO. Worth a try?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

18. Back To Top    #18

I switched to 8% for the last addition, and the next time I will use the 13.3 (all the store had) from the pool section of Walmart.
    I'll stop at SAMS on my way home from work tonight.
    Is it OK to stop during the night? What do you anticipate will happen? I don't want to have to start over.
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

Most people try to keep it up until dark/bedtime and then pick it up again in the AM. The more you test and treat, the faster this goes.

20. Back To Top    #20

7:00 readings
    FC 6.0 CC 1.0 Pool Math says add 2 gallons (13.3% this time).
    Starting to thunder and lightning....might have to stop until tomorrow. Will check again in an hour.
    Seems like I'm going backward in my FC this time??
    Jcgaz
    Resilience A5 SWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast