The saga of changing plumbing - too much of a good thing

When we moved into our home, I quickly joined TFP and read a lot. We had a 25k IG vinyl with some older equipment working fine with psi of 16-20. The system was:
Filter - Stay-Rite S7M120
Pump - DURA-GLAS II P4R6E-151L but with A.O. Smith USQ1152 1-1/2 HP Up-Rated Pool Motor
2 Incoming 2" lines - Main Drain (22' away) and skimmer (40' away)
1.5" return through Paramount system

We had the 220 side of our pump motor burned out, and the electrician recommended replace the motor. Since all else seemed well, we replaced the motor. No issues.

Then, we decided to add a heater. I read a lot here and realized the piping in our system was 1.5" and a ton of crazy elbows on the return line that went in a 360 degree circle around our pump - totally nuts. Old_front.jpgOld_Back.jpg

So, I swapped everything to 2" with easy flow fittings and pipe routing, 2" lines from the two 2" supply lines all the way to the 1.5" return to the paramount. We installed a Hayward HP21404T heat pump. Turned it on with no problems except the pressure spiked to 28-30 psi. Everything ran, but the pressure went up. The site where we bought heater told me to try a downsized impeller, so I stepped down to the appropriate smaller impeller for my P4R6E (C105-238P). On my own, I also eliminated our Hayward chlorinator, since we never use it and it was very flow restrictive. I have the pressure down to ~25psi, still too high, BUT my System 3 developed a small crack during all this craziness.
I now need a new filter, but I do not want to blow the selection and have to buy even more stuff. This is expensive already.
I am considering moving to the Pentair CCP420. I am hoping this will take the flow of my pump? It should be easier to clean, since the huge System 3 filters are a tough lift.
Will the CCP420 work with my equipment flow as it is now configured?Top.jpgOverall.jpgBack.jpg

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why so worried about the pressure? Why do you think 30 psi is too high? All pools are different and thus all pressures are different.
All pool equipment is designed to handle 50psi.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why so worried about the pressure? Why do you think 30 psi is too high? All pools are different and thus all pressures are different.
All pool equipment is designed to handle 50psi.

I think my main concern was that I 'improved' my plumbing but the pressure went way up. I realize these are not really connected, but it was a bummer.

Then, the leak happened...

By improving the plumbing, you removed head loss which allows increased flow rate which can result in higher pressures in the filter, depending on where the head loss was reduced

And also adding a heater can add a significant amount of head loss after the filter which would give higher pressures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.