Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The saga of changing plumbing - too much of a good thing

1. Back To Top    #1

The saga of changing plumbing - too much of a good thing

When we moved into our home, I quickly joined TFP and read a lot. We had a 25k IG vinyl with some older equipment working fine with psi of 16-20. The system was:
    Filter - Stay-Rite S7M120
    Pump - DURA-GLAS II P4R6E-151L but with A.O. Smith USQ1152 1-1/2 HP Up-Rated Pool Motor
    2 Incoming 2" lines - Main Drain (22' away) and skimmer (40' away)
    1.5" return through Paramount system

We had the 220 side of our pump motor burned out, and the electrician recommended replace the motor. Since all else seemed well, we replaced the motor. No issues.

Then, we decided to add a heater. I read a lot here and realized the piping in our system was 1.5" and a ton of crazy elbows on the return line that went in a 360 degree circle around our pump - totally nuts. Old_front.jpgOld_Back.jpg

So, I swapped everything to 2" with easy flow fittings and pipe routing, 2" lines from the two 2" supply lines all the way to the 1.5" return to the paramount. We installed a Hayward HP21404T heat pump. Turned it on with no problems except the pressure spiked to 28-30 psi. Everything ran, but the pressure went up. The site where we bought heater told me to try a downsized impeller, so I stepped down to the appropriate smaller impeller for my P4R6E (C105-238P). On my own, I also eliminated our Hayward chlorinator, since we never use it and it was very flow restrictive. I have the pressure down to ~25psi, still too high, BUT my System 3 developed a small crack during all this craziness.
    I now need a new filter, but I do not want to blow the selection and have to buy even more stuff. This is expensive already.
    I am considering moving to the Pentair CCP420. I am hoping this will take the flow of my pump? It should be easier to clean, since the huge System 3 filters are a tough lift.
    Will the CCP420 work with my equipment flow as it is now configured?Top.jpgOverall.jpgBack.jpg

Thanks!
    25K gal IG vinyl
    300 sqft cartridge System:3 S7M120
    1.5 HP
    K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: The saga of changing plumbing - too much of a good thing

How old is your filter? That S7M model has a 10 year factory warranty on the shell.

3. Back To Top    #3

It was here when we arrived. S/N is 6K96F. Since the pool was installed in 1996, I am guessing the filter is that old? Is has lived long and prospered...
    25K gal IG vinyl
    1.5 HP
    K-2006 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The Pentair 420would be fine for your pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    The Pentair 420would be fine for your pool.
    Thanks for that quick answer. I will get a 420.
    25K gal IG vinyl
    1.5 HP
    K-2006 Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!!

Why so worried about the pressure? Why do you think 30 psi is too high? All pools are different and thus all pressures are different.
    All pool equipment is designed to handle 50psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Why so worried about the pressure? Why do you think 30 psi is too high? All pools are different and thus all pressures are different.
    All pool equipment is designed to handle 50psi.
    I think my main concern was that I 'improved' my plumbing but the pressure went way up. I realize these are not really connected, but it was a bummer.

Then, the leak happened...
    25K gal IG vinyl
    1.5 HP
    K-2006 Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

By improving the plumbing, you removed head loss which allows increased flow rate which can result in higher pressures in the filter, depending on where the head loss was reduced

And also adding a heater can add a significant amount of head loss after the filter which would give higher pressures.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!