My husband turned off the pump for 5 days! HELP!

May 6, 2014
Raleigh, NC
My husband accidentally turned off our pool pump :brickwall: and consequently our SWG before we left town for 5 days. We came back to a pool with 0 chlorine and a slight green tint. Water is clear. We started the the pump and SWG and added bleach.

FC 3.5
TC 0
pH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 51
CH 235
temp 84

What else do we need to do to clear the water and when can we swim? This is only our year with the pool and the first time ever turning green, so I am at a total loss.

Thanks!

Bleach and brushing will fix it up quickly.

Brushing scrubs the slimy biofilm scab off the algae so the bleach can get in and kill it and it also helps circulate bleach-laden water to areas with poor circulation. So pop a few Motrin in advance, raise FC to 20, and make a lap around the pool with the brush. Have a beer. Recheck FC and raise it to 20 again. Make another lap with the brush. Have another beer. Repeat as needed. You can have the pool a blue-grey color the first day. With the filter on all night, don't be surprised if you come out in the morning and it looks clear. That's when you vacuum. Move the head slowly - sneak up on anything and let the suction draw it towards the vacuum rather than stir it up by pushing too fast.

A couple days will fix it up.

It's looking good! We ran the robot, added more bleach, scrubbed. It only has a slight green tinge in the deep end now. Y'all are the best! Need to do the OCLT in the morning, but at the rate it's clearing, I'm guessing we'll be good to go.

It was perfectly clear by 4pm. That seems awfully fast, but there's not even the slightest tinge of green left.
That's great if it is, but you should still run the overnight loss test and ensure the CC is also below .5. Those of us who've been around here a while have seen too many people stop too soon. It's not unlike taking antibiotics to kill an infection. You don't stop after one day just because you feel better. If you do, you'll relapse. You keep taking them to be sure your infection is cured. So too with the SLAM process. Be sure your pool is cured.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're pool is Crystal clear today with no cloudiness, I'd do an OCLT tonight n check it first thing tomorrow morning. Let us know if you pass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.