Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My husband turned off the pump for 5 days! HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

My husband turned off the pump for 5 days! HELP!

My husband accidentally turned off our pool pump and consequently our SWG before we left town for 5 days. We came back to a pool with 0 chlorine and a slight green tint. Water is clear. We started the the pump and SWG and added bleach.

FC 3.5
    TC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 60
    CYA 51
    CH 235
    temp 84

What else do we need to do to clear the water and when can we swim? This is only our year with the pool and the first time ever turning green, so I am at a total loss.

Thanks!
    18K gal 15x35 IG fiberglass w/waterfall & 2 deck jets, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG, Polaris 9450 Sport robot, Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder (for winter), built 4/14, Taylor K-2005 + FAS/DPD

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My husband turned off the pump for 5 days! HELP!

Sorry that happened, but you need to SLAM until you pass all criteria.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Dang husbands! Oh wait, that's me. Yep, time to SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

You caught it in time. Breath and SLAM.

You can swim if your FC is just under the CYA level for SLAM. It will slow down your clearing up but will be worth it just to be able to swim!

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Let us know how it is going!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice to see both of you have accounts here. Turn off the SWG while slamming.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Bleach and brushing will fix it up quickly.

Brushing scrubs the slimy biofilm scab off the algae so the bleach can get in and kill it and it also helps circulate bleach-laden water to areas with poor circulation. So pop a few Motrin in advance, raise FC to 20, and make a lap around the pool with the brush. Have a beer. Recheck FC and raise it to 20 again. Make another lap with the brush. Have another beer. Repeat as needed. You can have the pool a blue-grey color the first day. With the filter on all night, don't be surprised if you come out in the morning and it looks clear. That's when you vacuum. Move the head slowly - sneak up on anything and let the suction draw it towards the vacuum rather than stir it up by pushing too fast.

A couple days will fix it up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

It's looking good! We ran the robot, added more bleach, scrubbed. It only has a slight green tinge in the deep end now. Y'all are the best! Need to do the OCLT in the morning, but at the rate it's clearing, I'm guessing we'll be good to go.
    18K gal 15x35 IG fiberglass w/waterfall & 2 deck jets, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG, Polaris 9450 Sport robot, Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder (for winter), built 4/14, Taylor K-2005 + FAS/DPD

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Dont rush it. If you say green, you arent ready for oclt. Just a few more days should do it.

9. Back To Top    #9

It was perfectly clear by 4pm. That seems awfully fast, but there's not even the slightest tinge of green left.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by booksfan View Post
    It was perfectly clear by 4pm. That seems awfully fast, but there's not even the slightest tinge of green left.
    That's great if it is, but you should still run the overnight loss test and ensure the CC is also below .5. Those of us who've been around here a while have seen too many people stop too soon. It's not unlike taking antibiotics to kill an infection. You don't stop after one day just because you feel better. If you do, you'll relapse. You keep taking them to be sure your infection is cured. So too with the SLAM process. Be sure your pool is cured.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

If you're pool is Crystal clear today with no cloudiness, I'd do an OCLT tonight n check it first thing tomorrow morning. Let us know if you pass.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter