Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
First day test numbers:

July 25th, 8:30am
Water temp: 87 degrees
Water visual: murky; greenish teal

FC: 1 (same results on TF100 and Taylor 1000)

CC: 0.5

pH: 7.5

TA: 60

CH: 75 (down from yesterday's test (not sure an accurate test; and tap water test 3-4 weeks ago....)

Ok guys, tell me what to do!!! I will let the pool school guy know especially about the FC, but I have a feeling he will just tell me to wait. I don't want to wait on the chlorine. I have the pucks with the inline chlorinator.

Thanks,
Suz.

The pucks are fine for a little while, as you want to bring the Cya up slowly. I would suggest getting a few bottles of bleach on hand to make sure the FC doesn't drop below 3 until you get the Cya increased. Your inline should be able to keep up with this but if it doesn't, you can supplement with Bleach. You will eventually want to stop using the inline because you will have enough Cya in the pool. Continual use of it after you do, will get you over stabilized. This is what we see most when people come in with problems. High Cya, and green pools...the most common problem we see. That's nice TA, and your CH, is pretty low. You'll want to increase that, but see what the pool guy says he is going to do. Since he has it for the first 30 days, he may be addressing that. He may freak out if you mention using Bleach just FYI. Let us know what all he tells you, and we can help on suggestions, and help you working through this with him. Is he with the MMG outfit or the pool builder?

P.S
I don't know what he plans to do on startup, but if it were mine, I would want a Bi-Carb startup. Hopefully he will address the CH, and TA right away, because you don't want to remain where you are for the curing of your finish. Many of these guys really don't understand as much as they should, but again, please let us know what they say, and what you might be allowed to adjust.

Thanks for the help! I texted Mark, the guy starting up the pool. He was here yesterday and got the pumps going. He is with the pool builder. The inline was part of the deal, and by the time I really understood what ya'll taught on here, I pretty much just let the inline chlorinator thing drop.

I texted him after I posted this and asked about adding liquid chlorine. Much to my surprise, he said it would be great if I would add it. He suggested 2 gallons. I don't know the % of the bleach yet. My son is bringing it on his way home with a friend. He didn't see the % on the bottle, so I will check again. Pool math says to add 129oz if the weight is 8%. I googled the brand, WM's Top Job, and the best I could find was the % range of 6-9%.

I guess, I will start with the 129oz and test again this evening. Then maybe go up to the 2 gallons.

Mark has been doing this for 20+ years (I think that's what he said), and he's on his second owned pool. He LOVES pools. He estimated my pool to be at 24K gallons, but he said it would be fair to start off at what ya'll figured it to be - 21K. He said I can always adjust up later. So in Pool Math, I used 21K.

Let me know what I'm missing or figuring incorrectly.

This is so exciting!!!!! I wish my son would hurry home with the bleach! Algae isn't already forming, is it???

Thanks again for everything! I've read everything on here for Pool School, but right now, I'm so excited, I can't find the parts of info I need. So I really appreciate ya'll being so patient with my question and those to come!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

P.S
I don't know what he plans to do on startup, but if it were mine, I would want a Bi-Carb startup. Hopefully he will address the CH, and TA right away, because you don't want to remain where you are for the curing of your finish. Many of these guys really don't understand as much as they should, but again, please let us know what they say, and what you might be allowed to adjust.

Mark, pool guy, will switch the pool to the SWG after 30 days. As far as your P.S. goes, I'm not sure what you mean..... I guess I did not read about the Bi-Carb startup. Is it too late for that? Didn't the startup begin yesterday, or is the startup a range/period of days?

He and I talked a long time yesterday, mostly because I wasn't focused, but he said he really liked that I knew as much as I did. Since he agreed to let me add bleach myself, he might be more agreeable to work with ya'll and thinking about your suggestions. Time will tell....

Thank you so very much!!!!
Suz.

No, it isn't too late, but I'm not entirely sure it is something you'd feel confident in doing. I could be mistaken, but here is a link to what is done on one. If you do not feel up to the challenge, then by all means get the TA and CH up to range ASAP. Not doing so is not good for the longevity of your plaster. Without even running your numbers you are on the corrosive side of CSI and you want it to be at least neutral or slightly positive. Especially with a new finish. You've invested big money in that plaster job, and you want to treat it right.

Read about the Bicarbonate startup here: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Hi Suz,
What Patrick says.

as a FYI, dont be surprised if your pool guy doesn't know what a bi-carb start up is. Many of them have no idea.
An Acid Starup is the other way to start a pool. Which is pretty much easy.

I dont think you have any algae. Your CC is good, and with near 0 CYA, your FC of 1 is ok, but would not hurt at all to get the FC up to 3 with some bleach.

If you want to be sure you dont have any algae, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT for short).
Test the water just as it gets dark
Test the water again just before daylight
If there is more than 1 ppm difference, then you may be getting algae, but I doubt you have any.

PS, I almost forgot. The pucks are very acidc because they contain Cyanauric Acid. The acid in the pucks will drive down the pH, but on the otherhand, the curing of the plaster may counteract that. So ... keep an eye on the pH and dont let it get below 7.2 or above 7.9

If you see it changing and dont know what to do, well, you know where we are.

Suz, if they were doing a hot (Acid start) they would have been started on it already. You don't want that, but usually they don't in leu of getting that done with the acid wash/scrub they performed. I really do not believe you need to worry you have Algae yet. Often you'll see it turn nice in a few days...more like you expect. I've seen lots of new finishes here look like what you describe the first so many days.

Thank you! Ha! I'm still outside. I'll read about the bicarb thing ttonight if I don't crash. I've been watering the new baby plants and brushing the pool while cooling off inside the pool. A busy and great day!

The pool seems to be more blue, but I can't say if it will be more blue later. It was looking more clear after I added the bleach. But after brushing, it is murky again. I'm assuming that's how it should be on day 2! It's like having a new baby!

I plan to test again tonight. Should I add more bleach if it's still low?
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, bring FC up to 3 every time you test. Greenish cloudy and murky after brushing is still fine. Another couple of days and it will clear up. Be sure to keep FC up, you don't want algae or to have to SLAM a new pool.

Keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 always. Very important during start up.

Keep track of how many pucks you use and keep up with how much CYA you have added. When it gets above 20 start raising your FC level based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at or a little above target. More is better than less. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA.

Test numbers
July 25th, 8:00 pm:

Water temp: unknown
Water appearance: dark teal

FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 75

I added what we had left of bleach - about 2/3 of a gallon. I intended to go to the store after the test and stock up on bleach, but the neighbors came over to see the pool and just now left. Bad pool mom here cuz, I'm not going to WM this time of night.

I'll test again in the morning, but I expect the FC to be the same or lower. Is it possible the pucks aren't dissolving at all, or that there is something blocking them? I don't know anything about them.

I'll check in again in the morning! Thanks to all.
Suz.

Patrick: I had the pages printed for the Start-up New Plaster section which included the Bicarbonate start-up. I think everything I read a month or so ago, flew out the window.

I doubt my PB does the bicarbonate start-up. The article didn't go into detail about his side of this method. But if it requires 'some special equipment' or extra time on their part, I doubt it is an option. I'll ask them on Monday just to throw it out there. You never know.....

Thanks!
Suz.

There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat, but you seem to have a good working relationship with PB and crew.........I would do exactly as they say for a while.

You can back them up with frequent testing for FC, pH and CH as those are going to be the three items that fluctuate with a new pool.

Sounds like you are doing great!

Look at you doing these mad scientist tests! Fun stuff for sure!

Ask Mark about the numbers and what HE thinks each one should be. Ask him how HE thinks they would be fixed and have him do it or ask him if you can add the stuff if he is not on his way to the house.

HUGS!

Kim

I would do that. But make sure you ask about how he will be addressing TA, and CH.

Your Chlorinator may simply be turned down too low Suz. It should be able to give you 3 PPM. how long are your running the pool right now? You'll want to get the FC up and not stay like you are now for much longer. If you do, you start seeing Algae pretty soon. Promise ya that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.