Suz's new pool tests

Good job. .5 or less can be ignored. That means you don't have a lot of organic stuff eating your bleach (or Vice Vera, really). I'm not at my computer right now but check under "handy references" and chemical on the left to see what the right range for your FC should be. If I recall it should be 5. Go with the plaster chlroine numbers now since your SWG has not been started yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waste the Cya test. You don't have enough to see most likely.

If you can get the Chlorinator turned up, it should be able to give you enough FC. If it can't, then supplement it with Bleach. Use pool Math to figure the dose. I would target 4-5 when you dose. During the day, it will drop to 3 really fast. You really should try to get the Chlorinator opened more to get more flow and Chlorine output.

Also: the ph at 7.8 is fine right now. Your TA is low, and so is the CH. I would not worry about it. It needs to be up there until you get the CSI at least balanced.

Once done with that, get a tiny bit of HCL in it (I think I said a bit more than two cups). It will rise on you in no time. I'd wait until you get the bleach up to do the HCL. See why I said Nick should brush the pool? This is the easy (but frequent) part...and I have learned women pay more attention to details than men do. ;)

Great work kiddo!

Thank ya'll so much. I've been busy with the chlorine this morning, so I haven't done my first brushing yet today. On my way out to do that now. Nick helps in so many ways, but he tires easily. I have to watch out for that. If he says no, he really means no. So far, he's ok with brushing the deep end. But there's no way we're getting the brushing done 2 full times a day. And the PebbleTec instructions say 3x a day for the first 3 days. Then 2x a day for the next 7. All we can do is our best. I love my starship and will do everything possible for her!

I've thought about hiring someone to do the brushing, but I can't even think of anyone. I think we can get the 2x a week for sure. Last night, we got the sprinklers online to water the new plants, so I'm not having to do all of them by hand - just the trees and larger bushes. So that frees me up a little.

Thanks again,
Suz.

Everyone please keep it simple.

Hi Suz,
its gonna be important to use pool math. Hopefully I can give you step by step. Here is how for determing bleach.
In the Pool Size box, enter how many gallons your pool is
Below that, is the row for FC

In the white box on left, enter your test result
In the white box to the right, enter your target FC level

Now, in the row where it explains how much to add, it says...
Add x ozs of (white box here) weight % bleach.

There is an "active ingredients" area somewhere on the bleach bottle lable. It will say something like, 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite.... or it may say 6%

Whatever the % is of sodium hypochlorite is, enter that number into the white box in pool math. Then click calculate.

I did a quick one for you.
In a 21K gallon pool, with now your FC of 1 and goal or target of 3, you add 62 ozs of 8.25% bleach.

I hope this helps,

Once done with that, get a tiny bit of HCL in it (I think I said a bit more than two cups). It will rise on you in no time. I'd wait until you get the bleach up to do the HCL. See why I said Nick should brush the pool? This is the easy (but frequent) part...and I have learned women pay more attention to details than men do. ;)

Great work kiddo!

Please realize that taking the pH down to 7.5 put her at a negative (corrosive) CSI. 0.68 to be precise. In her situation that is.

HCL is Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid Kim.

During this kind of Houston weather, your chlorine gets used quickly if you don't have any CYA in your pool. You'll be going through a lot of chlorine (or tabs) until the CYA gets up. Using pucks, it will take weeks for the CYA to raise. I doubt your PB understands the CYA/FC relationship. Most have no idea. It also seems that he's willing to let you take part in the startup. The best way, giving that we're in the middle of summer here, is adding CYA quickly using a sock, and switching to liquid chlorine immediately so you know exactly how much CYA you're adding to your pool.

I keep noticing advice in this thread and it seems like people are forgetting this is new plaster. The best advice prescribes that Cya be brought up slowly in a newly finished pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please realize that taking the pH down to 7.5 put her at a negative (corrosive) CSI. 0.68 to be precise. In her situation that is.

HCL is Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid Kim.

Understood. (Actually I got -0.56, which is not past -0.60 corrosive level). The pool is literally five days old. Her plaster is curing which is going to give her a rapid rise in pH. Had I known this before my pool was finished I wouldn't have had the scaling problem I did and had to do a full drain and second acid wash.

Yes. Mine started at 200 and grew overtime, and am told it was from the plaster curing and leaching it into the water.

Can we at least agree 7.8 is the highest she should let it drift?

Pebble Tec startup procedures follow the National Plaster Council guidelines which recommend adding 30-50ppm CYA through the skimmer after the 4th day. Being new here myself and willing to learn, why is adding CYA per the NPC guidelines an issue?

I keep noticing advice in this thread and it seems like people are forgetting this is new plaster. The best advice prescribes that Cya be brought up slowly in a newly finished pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.