Water appearance: medium teal

FC: 1

CC: 0.5

pH: 7.8

TA: 60

CH: 75

Should I be testing for the CYA?

Suz.

P.S. I sent the numbers to the pool guy - waiting for a response, but it is Sunday, so.......

Looks like you need to bring your FC up (add bleach) and your pH down (add HCL). Concentrate on those numbers for now. The pucks will slowly bring your CYA up. Might want to open the puck chlorinator a bit more since your FC is low. I believe if they are trichlor they will also help with your pH rise a bit too.

**post edit for correct CH reference to CYA.

I would do that. But make sure you ask about how he will be addressing TA, and CH.

Your Chlorinator may simply be turned down too low Suz. It should be able to give you 3 PPM. how long are your running the pool right now? You'll want to get the FC up and not stay like you are now for much longer. If you do, you start seeing Algae pretty soon. Promise ya that.

Patrick, I think I forgot to answer your question. The pool guy has the pump set to run from about 7am - 5pm on high. He said the pucks wouldn't dissolve on low. After the salt cell is turned on in 30 days, the pump can go on low - what he told me, not what I know.

Now I'm staring at the pool waiting to see it turn green. :suspect:

If I don't hear back from the pool guy, should I go ahead and add more bleach, or does that get me into trouble with the other numbers?

Suz.

Agreed on the pH. That's what I was trying to say. It well help fight her rising pH. And a 3" puck will add 8 oz of CYA. 15 pounds of trichlor will be about 50ppm which the target. I was told on here in another tread that you want to bring up CYA gradually with a new interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely add bleach. Keep FC at 3 ppm at all times test and add morning, midafternoon and evening. We do not want to have to SLAM your brand new pool.

Awesome! I haven't heard back from Pool Guy, but I trust you guys more. We're on our way to get lots of chlorine. WalMart Top Job is good, right? I'm hoping to go get Appelbe's chlorine - Monday if at all possible.

Should I add a little more than the 129 oz I did yesterday morning, since the pool isn't budging off of Chlorine 1ppm? How much?

I keep saying thanks, but I mean it!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree on trichlor pucks lowering pH as they are acidic. ITR stated earlier that trichlor pucks will bring up CH. This is incorrect. I think ITR meant CYA.

A 3" trichlor puck is 8oz in weight but will not add 8oz of CYA as pucks are not pure stabilizer. According to PoolMath, each 8oz puck will raise Suz's CYA by 1.6ppm. If she would use stabilizer in a sock, each 8oz of stabilizer would increase her CYA by 2.9ppm. To get to 50ppm, she would have to use a total of about 31 pucks. That will take a while...

Agreed on the pH. That's what I was trying to say. It well help fight her rising pH. And a 3" puck will add 8 oz of CYA. 15 pounds of trichlor will be about 50ppm which the target. I was told on here in another tread that you want to bring up CYA gradually with a new interior.

My mistake...yes, I meant CYA...sorry. I am at a personal battle with high CH hence my mistake.

And I agree, yes trichlor is not totally CYA...and yes...it will take a while, but I have been following her build for months in another thread. The PB is her pool guy for the next 30 days. The last thing she wants to do is add 50ppm CYA and them think it hasn't been added (or is still trapped in the filter) and add more putting her over. To my understanding you can't remove CYA without draining the pool, which I'm guessing she doesn't want to do since it was just filled the middle of this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITR: I am using pool math but the chlorine isn't budging above 1ppm. My uneducated guess is that the chlorine I bought yesterday (gave no percent) was worthless, the chlorinator isn't turned up high enough (correct terms?), or my pool is closer to the 24K the pool guy guessed.

I'm going to follow pooldv's suggestion and test 3x a day.

So, should I add chlorine as per yesterday hoping this one has a higher percent, or go ahead and raise my pool gallons to raise amount of chlorine to add

Remember, I had a Baptist preacher teaching me HS chemistry, so this isn't my strength. My logic may be way off.
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

ITR: Keep giving your input. I really appreciate it, and you may not know what I know and what I don't know (mostly the latter)! :)

During this kind of Houston weather, your chlorine gets used quickly if you don't have any CYA in your pool. You'll be going through a lot of chlorine (or tabs) until the CYA gets up. Using pucks, it will take weeks for the CYA to raise. I doubt your PB understands the CYA/FC relationship. Most have no idea. It also seems that he's willing to let you take part in the startup. The best way, giving that we're in the middle of summer here, is adding CYA quickly using a sock, and switching to liquid chlorine immediately so you know exactly how much CYA you're adding to your pool.

Some of ya'll's discussions are way over my head. I'll get it eventually.

But, you guys will HAVE to tell me to do something. Don't assume I will know on my own to do something by inferring action needed from your discussions.
Suz.

Could be a few things:

1) While it *could be* bad bleach, I doubt it. That stuff turns over at wal-mart and doesn't sit around. If you'd had it for a while, I guess it could have lost its effectiveness
2) Bleach comes in different strengths. Try to get the 8.25% kind. Chlorax is generally a dependable brand. DO NOT BUY THE SPLASHLESS KIND
3) If your pool is 24k, it will take one full gallon to bring your FC up just 3.5ppm. Judging from your pool in the other photo, you probably need to kill some stuff first..so it will eat it up.
4) Your method of application...you want to either drizzle it around your pool by the returns, or dilute in a five gallon bucket first and then pour it around your perimeter.

Either way, if you are at 1, to get it up you'll need more than a gallon. Like I said a few days ago, you'll want to buy a bunch of bleach and HCL during your first few months. This is normal...

Do this: (assuming 24k gallon pool and hopefully applebe will agree)

1 - Add at least a gallon and a half of 8.25% bleach and open up your chrlorinator more (the puck thing). Don't be afraid.
2 - Let that circulate for 30 minutes and retest
3 - If it is up to five or more go to step #4; if it's not then add another gallon and go back to #2....do this until FC is at least five. Believe, algae doesn't care if it's a new pool or not. :)
4 - Add 19oz (a bit more than two cups) of acid to bring your pH to 7.5
5 - Let that circulate for at least 30 minutes and retest FC, CC, and pH.
6 - Post results.

It will definitely be like a newborn for a few weeks...just remember...it won't cry and wake you up at night. :)

:goodpost: ITR

Suz,
Until your CYA level gets up to 40 ppm or so you will need to test and add bleach/chlorine 2 or 3 times per day. The sun is going to burn off your FC quickly.

So, when you add enough to go from 1ppm to 3ppm and test 30 min later and it is 1 add again. The goal is to get FC up to 3 and keep it there.

I am getting real nervous that you are about to have an algae farm there.

July 26; 1:00pm

FC: 3.5 Woo Hoo, right?

CC: 0.5 Why is that still the same as it has been?

Now what? Test again in a few hours? Add bleach every time it dips below 3?

Pool Guy responded saying only the pucks are fine. He said nothing else regarding the numbers.

Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.