Skimmer suction pressure

Jul 7, 2014
atco/nj
I just watched the alum floc video and noticed the skimmer suction he had. I don't have nearly that. My first skimmer seems pretty good. It has debris in the basket when i clean it. The skimmer on the deep end (furthest from the pump) barely sucks anything in. I don't think I have any leaks, I have no air in my pump basket. Is there a test I can do or maybe run a snake through the lines to see if its clogged? Thanks

Hey Trevor,
Are both skimmers connected to the same suction line, instead of being plumbed seperately all the way back to the pump.

If thats the case, the 1st skimmer is most likely robbing the suction from the farthest one. Very common occurrence.

If you dont know if they are plumbed together in a "loop" fashion, you can check to see if thats the case by plugging the hole in the bottom of the first skimmer, and look at whats happening to the suction at the second one. It will likely increase noticeably

If indeed both skimmers are plumbed independetnly, they the length of the pipes and how many bends will rob the skimmer of skimming efficiency...

of course there is always the possibility it could be clogged somewhere.

Not long ago, someone else was experiencing something similar. As it turned out, a G.I. Joe was stuck in one of the 90 deg fittings where both skimmers combined right in front of the pump. hahaha.

anyways, hope this helps

I believe they are on the same line as i only have one valve to turn off the skimmers. When the plumbing at the pump was redone there were three pipes. Skimmers, vac line (converted to another return) and bottom drain. Its really un equal power. Hmmm.... thanks for the tip. I'll have to see what I can do

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.