Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated-CYA won't go down

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated-CYA won't go down

I have a vinyl liner but have very high CYA. I don't have any issues with well water or water table. I've read and read that my option to lower CYA is to drain and refill. I don't think I can really drain 75% of my water because I think that's bad for the liner. So I've planned to do a 25% drain about once a week for about 5 weeks. (Pool is 4 ft across all the way) Trouble is, I've done it twice now and don't seem to be getting anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Tested 7/14:
    FC- keeping around 12
    CC- 0
    pH- 7.4
    AL- 140
    CYA- 160

tested 7/19 (after 25% drain/refill)
    FC- keeping around 12
    CC- 0.2
    pH- 7.5
    AL- 140
    CYA- 160

tested 7/24 (after 25% drain/refill)
    FC- brought up to 11
    CC- 0.2
    pH- 7.5
    AL- 150
    CYA- 140

Extra info: we just bought the house and I don't know anything about its history other than the buckets of chemicals (pucks) left by the previous owner and the ridiculous green swamp that it was when we took off the cover.
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Frustrated-CYA won't go down

It's likeLY your CYA was higher to start than You thought. How did you arrive at the starting CYA value?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi SandyO, i see you are using the Taylor kit which is good. I assume you are diluting the water by 1/2 to obtain those readings over 100? The margin of error when running the test normally for readings under 100 is i believe +/- 10, so if you are doing a dilution test i suppose it would be +/- 20? which your readings are within. i think as you continue the process you will start to see more reliable readings
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, as scary as it sounds, your CYA level after probable years of use is gonna be out the roof. Keep at it, you'll see a drop soon I bet.

How are you chlorinating the pool now?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. It is actually reassuring to hear you say that.

Yes, been diluting with bottled water and multiplying x2.

Started clorinating with 8% bleach but am getting 12% chlorine from the pool store now for pretty much the same price.

I've noticed that our hair and skin seems VERY dry with all this chlorine so I'd like to get it down as soon as I can. But don't want anything growing in there. So I just keep doing what I'm doing?
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Sandy, yes i would suggest continuing with the water replacements, the CYA is still unmanageable. What are your pool measurements, length width and depth? If you have a shallow end you can safely drain a liner pool to leave 1 foot of water in the shallow end, so if the shallow end is 3ft you can drain 2ft at a time . e.g. if your pool is 20x12x5.5 which is about 10000G, 2 feet would replace 3600G so you could do 1/3 at a time and have faster results. Please reply with your pool measurements

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool is 24x12 foot rectangular. There is no deep end, just 4 ft deep everywhere.

Could I drain it to just 1 ft deep everywhere?
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, that is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

SandyO, when i type 24x12x4 into pool math it says that would be 8600 gallons. is your 10000G volume for sure or an estimate? you may be able to get more accurate dosages if you know the exact volume

10. Back To Top    #10

The size is actually 24.3 ft x 12.8 ft. That gets me to 9300 gallons. Then there is the well with the steps so I've been rounding up to 10,000 gallons. I don't know how to measure the steps part.

Its pouring now so I'll be draining more soon anyway. Too bad I didn't do that before the free water fell from the sky.
    TF-100 test kit