Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie PH mistake

1. Back To Top    #1
    Hamilton, ON, Canada

Newbie PH mistake

I had a nice PH of ~7.7 (with a Rainbow test kit, but TF100 is on the way)
    ...and then I accidentally left my pump running for 12+ hours with the return jet breaking the water. Now the PH is somewhere above 8.
    I've pointed the return downwards and am looking forward to the rain overnight & tomorrow. No acid on hand yet.

Just sharing my oops moment
    7400gal AG :: Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1hp single speed pump :: Hayward Pro 150lb sand filter :: RayPak 156 150k BTU natural gas heater :: TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Newbie PH mistake

It happens. I believe a couple other people this week have done about the same if I recall? Need to get some MA dude
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

Georgetown, ON, Canada

Hi Rob, sorry that's a bummer. Some muriatic acid from can.tire or home hardware should fix that up. I just checked and but neither has muriatic acid in their searches
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

St. Simons Island, GA

My pool's pH tends to drift downward over time. Maybe yours will too .... or not. Muriatic acid is not hard to find, just go to Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. My local Winn-Dixie even has it in its itsy-bitsy pool section, where they sell 10% bleach for $5 even though the regular 8.25% bleach for $3.54 is on the same shelf less than 7 feet away.
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with cartridge filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.