Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning debris from suction inlet in skimmer, ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning debris from suction inlet in skimmer, ideas?

Hi!
    Apparently there are some long needle pine trees somewhere on our property we've recently moved to. After vacuuming and removing the hose from the skimmer suction inlet I found a bunch of pine needles, three needles clumps, hanging out at the bottom bend. I tried to stick my fingers in to remove them. I very gingerly tried bbq tongs. I tried forceps. I've had no success. It is not totally clogged. There is still good suction. They need to come out though, preferably out the path they went in. Any creative ideas on how to remove these? They were sucked up by the vacuum. There were so very few, I thought the vacuum could handle this. I won't do that again, instead I will net them out. How have you removed them?

Thanks!!
    Roxanne
    24-26K gal, IG concrete/plaster 08-09, DE filter, 1.5 HP, Polaris 380, well water, Jackson NJ, 1st time pool owners. Don't have all numbers. Not a multi port valve. Thanking you all in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cleaning debris from suction inlet in skimmer, ideas?

shop vac?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Paebeder! For some reason I didn't think I could apply negative pressure there. But that's ok?
    24-26K gal, IG concrete/plaster 08-09, DE filter, 1.5 HP, Polaris 380, well water, Jackson NJ, 1st time pool owners. Don't have all numbers. Not a multi port valve. Thanking you all in advance!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne1 View Post
    Thanks Paebeder! For some reason I didn't think I could apply negative pressure there. But that's ok?
    Open up the pump strainer and flush backwards with a garden hose from there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard!
    Sorry for this tediousness... So I pull out the strainer basket and take a garden hose and direct the water into the pipes and eventually toward the filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne1 View Post
    Thanks Richard!
    Sorry for this tediousness... So I pull out the strainer basket and take a garden hose and direct the water into the pipes and eventually toward the filter?
    Nope. You open the p[ump lid and lift out the basket and stick the hose into the opening where the water normally comes into the pump and flush backwards out the skimmers. If you wrap the hose with a rag you can wedge it in pretty tight and any pine needles in the plumbing should get pushed out where you can grab 'em. .
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!