Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox Vs Pool Liquid Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox Vs Pool Liquid Bleach

I was just at the pool store to buy some chemicals.. and mentioned I was using Clorox to provide chlorine.

He mentioned that I should buy their liquid chlorine product because it had fewer "dissolved Solids"

I'd like to hear from you folks..

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox Vs Pool Liquid Bleach

Either he is ignorant of the contents or lying. The only difference is the %. Now, bleach and higher % chlorinating liquid are measured differently. If you convert bleach to Trade% which is what chlorinating liquid is measured in you have bleach at 8.64% and chlorinating liquid at 10 or 12.5%.

Is he trying to,sell you 1 gallon bottles or do they have a built tank with refillable 2.5 gallon containers?

All of them are going to give you similar additions, mainly salt.

If they have a decent turnover and it is stored properly it can be better cost wise to go with chlorinating liquid.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Got a name for their store brand?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd have to ask him what the "dissolved solids" are in the Clorox? I'm going to give the pool store the benefit of the doubt and say that since Clorox is now putting out pool chemicals under their own label perhaps he thinks you're using something more than just plain household bleach?

A lot of folks are getting confused by the Clorox pool chems I think.

And you could always price the pool stores liquid chlorine just to see if its a better price.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

No this is regular Clorox bleach... 8.25% I think.. I just thought he was doing his salesman thing and trying to up sale me to his brand (they come in 1 gallon bottles).. Leslie's Pools no doubt.. I was just wondering.

I have always thought the pool chlorine and store bought chlorine only differed in concentration.. not chemical make up
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You are correct BitViper. The only difference is the concentration. Higher concentration chlorine will degrade more rapidly when exposed to heat and general aging. If I was buying chlorinating liquid from the pool store I would make sure it is fresh and not been stored in a window display.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you look at the active ingredients on the jug, you'll find that both bleach and any liquid chlorine or liquid shock all say the same thing.
    Sodium Hypochlorite.

The only difference is the concentration of the Sodium Hypochlorite
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!