Automatic Pool Covers Inc. Auto Cover/Motor: How to open manually?

To make a very long story short, my house was hit by lightning and we lost just about every electronic item we own. Electrician has restored power to the house and outside, however...the motor to my auto cover is fried. It has been 2 weeks. I've shocked thr1437783316682.jpgough the skimmer using a garden hose in the meantime. I now have power to the pool pump, filter, heater, etc. But no power to the cover.

I would like to open the pool and give it a good clean and super shock since its been 90 degrees plus all week. Directions in the owner manual are vague. I have removed the coupler that connects the motor to the shaft. Attempted to open by pulling the ropes to no avail. Directions I have say:
"Using a large pipe wrench, attach to the aluminum ends of the castings that is directly next to the roll up of the cover and wrap the cover onto the drum".

Someone please explain this to me like I'm a 4yr old because I'm getting nowhere. We were supposed to have a pool party for my daughter's bday tomorrow and I can't get this thing open!

Thanks in advance!
Christina

I showed Yippee this picture and your post, and he *thinks* by the directions it means a large pipe wrench (go to the hardware store and ask for a pipe wrench not vice grips) would be used on the aluminum rod directly next to/under the blue roll of cover. He grabbed one of his and a pole and showed me what he meant and it made sense (lord!) so I hope we explained what we think the manual means.....?

A pipe wrench works in a forward push way that grabs the rod, then it releases when you pull it back to grab the rod once more, so you're making a repeated motion. You need a larger/longer pipe wrench for the leverage it will give you

Yippee <trying to explain tools in chick speak>
Skippy says go to YouTube to see how a pipe wrench works "How to Use a Pipe Wrench"

GOOD LUCK!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.