Algae that won't go away!!

May 14, 2015
Grand Blanc/Michigan
I have algae that thinks it is here to stay! I have done multiple slams and then I looked up yellow mustard algae and brought my chlorine level up to it's proper level for 24 hours. It looked good for about a week and then it came back with a vengeance. I have the taylor test kit and all my levels have been perfect. I am not sure what to do now. The pool store says my pool should look crystal clear but it is a turning into a swamp. My levels are above 10 and I haven't turned off my pumps. Do I have to do another SLAMM? It took me over 3 weeks last time to get it to clear up.

Welcome to TFP

Can you post a full set of test results please.

You say you have conducted multiple SLAMs. Have you passed all three criteria each time :
1. Clear water including no visible dead/living algae
2. CC less than .5
3. Passed OCLT

What test kit are you using?

It is generally very difficult to control a pool using a puck feeder and if you follow the TFP system there is no need to "shock" your pool. I have a feeling you are trying to mix common pool care and TFP methods which will not work.

Sorry first time posting. I use a taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. My levels are FC 8.4, CC .2, TA 180, CH 170, CYA 40, temp.84. I can still see the vinyl design in the bottom of the shallow end but the pool is just getting greener.

- - - Updated - - -

After I slammed the pool the I met all the requirements for ending the slam. Sorry I don't have the numbers from the last slamm.

Ok then something is causing you to have repeated algae outbreaks...
...no one swimming in a lake and coming right home and hopping in the pool, is there? Anyone wearing diapers or kids peeing in the pool to use up all your chlorine?

That sort of only leaves the explanation that either there was *still* some algae lurking in the nooks and crannies, or you're not keeping your FC up high enough to meet your CYA level consistently.

You say you're using pucks, are you *sure* about that CYA level?

No lake swimmers or little ones. I have tested the CYA twice in the last month. First time it was 30 now it is 40. I know they said the pucks should give me a higher reading but I haven't had that problem. I thought I would just use up the pucks and then change over to bleach. The pool has only been open two years. We have gotten more rain this summer and I am wondering if that is my problem. I have also kept the solar cover off.

Ok just returned from the pool store. I had him check my water levels. He got a reading of 80 for CYA. I came right home and checked with my taylor kit and my cheap kit. They both read 43ish. Am I reading my test wrong? I put the water solution in until I no longer can see the dot from the top. At around 70-80 it is foggy but I can still it. Also, I did remove the pucks from the chlorinator and was going to switch to either liquid chlorine or bleach. It seems cheaper to buy liquid chlorine over bleach, so why do you use bleach?

If I could have one wish on this forum, it would be for people to have confidence in their testing. Everyone spends good money to get a kit and then runs to the pool store to see if their good kit is any good.

About the last place you're gonna get good testing is at a pool store so why compare their junk results?

Buy LQ or bleach,,,,,whichever works best for you.

Thank you! I thought I may be doing the test wrong. It is my first year with a taylor kit and only second year with a pool. I was using pucks for chlorinating the pool which I now know add stabilizer. So Funshine sanitizer 12 I was told does not add stabilizer to the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to go to the pool store yesterday to get something and I wanted to check out their results because a neighbors pool is looking cloudy this year and it never did. He has a SWG and relies on their testing.. I have measured my CYA level at 40 the last two times i checked. Their test read 5. The other numbers did not match any of my testing.

Trust yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.