New pool owner cloudy water 1 week old

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to replace some of the water to get the salt level down. You can use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to tell you how much water to remove. We recommend our members use a FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to test chlorine levels higher than 5ppm, which you will need in order to complete the SLAM process . The slam process will clear up the cloudiness.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
Be sure to chlorinate your pool with bleach anytime your SWG isn't working or keeping up. The cloudiness is the start of algae due to insufficient chlorine levels.

The good news is its still blue! You should be able to fix this in short order if you get on it with bleach. Was your SWG giving your problems that you turned it off?

How sure are you of that 4200ppm salt reading? My SWG thinks I have too much salt, but I don't. And it still works fine so....<shrug> perhaps you can still use yours?

In no particular order....

TA is high. Buy a gallon of muriatic acid and fashion some means of creating bubbles or disturbance in the water (the exchange of air and water releases carbon dioxide from the water, thereby raising pH.) Then add a wee bit of acid to lower pH, then run aerator for a good long while to raise pH, then add acid, then run aerator etc. ... for a day or two to lower TA.

you measured TC? How? what's your test kit? FC is fine for "normal", but since you think the water is cloudy, raise it some for while. I have found that a single gallon of 8.25% bleach works wonders when I think the water looks slightly cloudy, but then again the amount and % of bleach correlates directly to the size of your pool (i.e.- the number of gallons of water it holds).

TA and TH are more or less irrelevant in above ground vinyl pool, so don't waste your time or chemicals testing them often.

Too much salt. Get rid of some pool water by whatever means you desire, then add more water until your chlorine generator is happy.

and lastly, ...... what is your CYA level? Without knowing that, you'll never know what "normal" is.

Bottom line: it's really cool that you got a feel for chemistry just by looking at the water! The cloudiness indicates that a problem is brewing but hasn't matured yet.

TA is not irrelevant in a vinyl pool, only CH. If your PH is stable I wouldn't bother trying to lower TA. If the PH rises regularly then go ahead and lower it to 10 and see how PH acts, then 80 until PH is stable for a few weeks.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to replace some of the water to get the salt level down. You can use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to tell you how much water to remove. We recommend our members use a FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to test chlorine levels higher than 5ppm, which you will need in order to complete the SLAM process . The slam process will clear up the cloudiness.
Thank you will drain some of the water today.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
Be sure to chlorinate your pool with bleach anytime your SWG isn't working or keeping up. The cloudiness is the start of algae due to insufficient chlorine levels.
I'm using the 3" tablets for now and the chlorine is just fine for now.

- - - Updated - - -

The good news is its still blue! You should be able to fix this in short order if you get on it with bleach. Was your SWG giving your problems that you turned it off?

How sure are you of that 4200ppm salt reading? My SWG thinks I have too much salt, but I don't. And it still works fine so....<shrug> perhaps you can still use yours?
The first day I turned on the SWG it was telling me I got high salt when my salt level in the pool was at 770ppm. Intel is sending me a new Titanium Electrode so will see how that goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ordering that test kit this week

Ok this morning I did a test for CH the test reads once you add 5 drops of the indicator into 25ml of water if hardness is present it should turn red. Well it turned green. Does that means no hardness present? I didn't continue the test since the water didn't turn red. I'm using the 6-way HTH test kit I bought from walmart for now

Is it CH or TH? Calcium Hardness is what it is usually referred to.

Not sure how the HTH works. Here is the the extended test instructions for the TF100 that reference potential other colors that show up. Post 7 is CH, Extended Test Kit Directions. Also CH is not important in vinyl pools as long as it isn't way high, like over 350. Though there is nothing wrong with knowing what it is.

Nice job so far getting your pool under control!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.