Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner cloudy water 1 week old

How did you get your chemical readings?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to replace some of the water to get the salt level down. You can use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to tell you how much water to remove. We recommend our members use a FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to test chlorine levels higher than 5ppm, which you will need in order to complete the SLAM process . The slam process will clear up the cloudiness.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
    Be sure to chlorinate your pool with bleach anytime your SWG isn't working or keeping up. The cloudiness is the start of algae due to insufficient chlorine levels.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

The good news is its still blue! You should be able to fix this in short order if you get on it with bleach. Was your SWG giving your problems that you turned it off?

How sure are you of that 4200ppm salt reading? My SWG thinks I have too much salt, but I don't. And it still works fine so....<shrug> perhaps you can still use yours?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

In no particular order....

TA is high. Buy a gallon of muriatic acid and fashion some means of creating bubbles or disturbance in the water (the exchange of air and water releases carbon dioxide from the water, thereby raising pH.) Then add a wee bit of acid to lower pH, then run aerator for a good long while to raise pH, then add acid, then run aerator etc. ... for a day or two to lower TA.

you measured TC? How? what's your test kit? FC is fine for "normal", but since you think the water is cloudy, raise it some for while. I have found that a single gallon of 8.25% bleach works wonders when I think the water looks slightly cloudy, but then again the amount and % of bleach correlates directly to the size of your pool (i.e.- the number of gallons of water it holds).

TA and TH are more or less irrelevant in above ground vinyl pool, so don't waste your time or chemicals testing them often.

Too much salt. Get rid of some pool water by whatever means you desire, then add more water until your chlorine generator is happy.

and lastly, ...... what is your CYA level? Without knowing that, you'll never know what "normal" is.

Bottom line: it's really cool that you got a feel for chemistry just by looking at the water! The cloudiness indicates that a problem is brewing but hasn't matured yet.
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.

7. Back To Top    #7

TA is not irrelevant in a vinyl pool, only CH. If your PH is stable I wouldn't bother trying to lower TA. If the PH rises regularly then go ahead and lower it to 10 and see how PH acts, then 80 until PH is stable for a few weeks.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    How did you get your chemical readings?
    image.jpgI bought one of those HTH 6 way test kits from Walmart. Also took my water sample to local pool store and the readings was very close.
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to replace some of the water to get the salt level down. You can use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to tell you how much water to remove. We recommend our members use a FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to test chlorine levels higher than 5ppm, which you will need in order to complete the SLAM process . The slam process will clear up the cloudiness.
    Thank you will drain some of the water today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
    Be sure to chlorinate your pool with bleach anytime your SWG isn't working or keeping up. The cloudiness is the start of algae due to insufficient chlorine levels.
    I'm using the 3" tablets for now and the chlorine is just fine for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    The good news is its still blue! You should be able to fix this in short order if you get on it with bleach. Was your SWG giving your problems that you turned it off?

How sure are you of that 4200ppm salt reading? My SWG thinks I have too much salt, but I don't. And it still works fine so....<shrug> perhaps you can still use yours?
    The first day I turned on the SWG it was telling me I got high salt when my salt level in the pool was at 770ppm. Intel is sending me a new Titanium Electrode so will see how that goes.
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

image.jpg
    Just finished draining 600gallons out the pool which took to 1"-2" of water out
    CL is 5 or above
    PH is 7.2
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    ordering that test kit this week
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

i'd put that chlorine at about 4....its sort of subjective. So good job ordering a test kit. Its the very best way to take charge and care of your own pool.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

It's actually closer to 3. I made a copy of the picture, then cut and pasted a piece of the sample color. Drop it on the color matching area. Most like 3.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    It's actually closer to 3. I made a copy of the picture, then cut and pasted a piece of the sample color. Drop it on the color matching area. Most like 3.
    It's the picture the color is dim it's a 5 or higher
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Ordered my TF-100 test key should be in tomorrow. Today I drained my pool in order to lower my salt level now it's perfect 3250ppm SWG loves it. Tomorrow I will take my readings in order to adjust my water chemistry.
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

Yay for the TF-100... no more color matching games! You'll know exactly how much because each drop = 0.5 (in other words if it takes 14 drops to clear the sample, you divide by 2 and your FC is 7) Easy peasy!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok this morning I did a test for CH the test reads once you add 5 drops of the indicator into 25ml of water if hardness is present it should turn red. Well it turned green. Does that means no hardness present? I didn't continue the test since the water didn't turn red. I'm using the 6-way HTH test kit I bought from walmart for now
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

18. Back To Top    #18

Is it CH or TH? Calcium Hardness is what it is usually referred to.

Not sure how the HTH works. Here is the the extended test instructions for the TF100 that reference potential other colors that show up. Post 7 is CH, Extended Test Kit Directions. Also CH is not important in vinyl pools as long as it isn't way high, like over 350. Though there is nothing wrong with knowing what it is.

Nice job so far getting your pool under control!
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I ordered the TF100 and they sent me the Taylor k-2005

http://i.imgur.com/kb6Az0f.jpg
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Sorry I can't see the picture. If you were correct in typing 2005 then; Oh no!! Those aren't even the same type of test kit. No wonder there has been confusion!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast