Help determining correct pump

Jul 24, 2015
Illinois
Hello everyone,

After hours of reading about pumps and plumbing on this site, I have gained much knowledge but I am still a little confused.

I have a 33 foot AG pool, 52" walls, holds 28,000 gallons of water. I have a 24" 300#, 63 USGPM filter with a Hayward Power

FLO LX pump. The pump is rated at 40 GPM, which if I have done my math correctly would take almost 12 hours to turn my water over.

I'm thinking I need to purchase a different pump, one rated at least 60 GPM, to turn the water over in 8 hours. However, if I'm understanding

correctly, the 1.5" plumbing I have would still restrict my flow to around 40 GPM? Can anyone let me know if I'm thinking correctly with all this?

Thanks for any replies, really like the site!

I'm assuming your pump is at least a 1HP pump, which is plenty for your application. The amount of time it actually takes to "turn your water over" means very little-----don't over think it. You will achieve better filtering results at a lower rated flow pump as long as it is reasonable, and yours certainly is. Welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.