Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Me! Algae Dusting!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Me! Algae Dusting!

Ok yall I have been battling algae for some time and and just when I think I have it under control I am at a loss once again... I have shocked over and have finally killed all of my algae. However I now have a brown dusting in the center of my pool (dead algae) that WILL NOT suck into the bag of my vacuum. The algae is such a fine dusting that it blows right through the vacuum bag. Now what? Please help! Im ready to tear the pool down and sell it. It is an intex metal frame above ground pool. 18'x48"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Me! Algae Dusting!

Welcome to TFP! If you follow these instructions you will tear down your pool and sell it on CL. So you can buy a bigger one! All you have to do to kill the algae is follow this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Any questions come on back and ask.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you vacuum to waste? Last year (before I got my Pool Blaster max vacuum), I learned that vacuuming to waste was the only way to get rid of fine silt, dead algae, and flocced phosphates. My sand filter couldn't catch it.

This year, I vacuum daily with my pool blaster max (rechargeable) with micro filter bags and it picks up the fine stuff pretty well. Of course I have to approach the debris slowly so as not to stir it up.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by freemanmami86 View Post
    Ok yall I have been battling algae for some time and and just when I think I have it under control I am at a loss once again... I have shocked over and have finally killed all of my algae. However I now have a brown dusting in the center of my pool (dead algae) that WILL NOT suck into the bag of my vacuum. The algae is such a fine dusting that it blows right through the vacuum bag. Now what? Please help! Im ready to tear the pool down and sell it. It is an intex metal frame above ground pool. 18'x48"
    Welcome.

How did you determine that all the algae was killed? That could be live algae.

As as mentioned, vacuum to waste to get as much out as you can.

Read up on how to do a SLAM, you will find the procedure in Pool School under "how to".

How have you been chlorinating your pool & how do you test your water?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!