Hayward Skimmer installation - location on Intex

GregN

Jun 18, 2015
Central NJ
Hi folks - I have purchased a Hayward Skimmer for my 18' x 52" Intex Ultra round pool. While there are several threads that provide specific installation instructions, there isn't too much on where to actually locate the skimmer for best perfomance. From pictures posted on various threads on this site, it seems that most folks install the skimmer between the existing intake and return; although a few folks have installed it a few panels further away from the return jet.

As you can see in the below pic, my return jet (left of pump) and intake (right of pump) are positioned with 1 "clear" panel between them. Water circulates clockwise as viewed from the perspective in the picture.

Additionally, I'm thinking of upgrading my current 1600 gph pump/.5 hp to a more powerfull pump next summer (Intex 3000 gph ?), and I am considering converting the existing intake to a dedicated vacuum port.

So, is there an optimal location to mount the skimmer for best perfomance given my set up?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated; I want to get this right the first time.

Thanks,
Greg

Intex pool.jpg

4.jpg Here is what I did to my 18' x 52" Intex. I used the original intake as an additional inlet to add a fountain made of PVC for fun with my Grandkids. I don't use it very much. When I relocate the pool location to the other side of the yard next year I am thinking of using that port as a vacuum connection as well. Before you Change to a larger pump, see what your difference in flow is after you add the skimmer. You will be surprised. My experience in this was great in that respect. Good luck, as far as where to put the skimmer I put mine where it would be the shortest distance to the pump.

I guess I should of mentioned that I replaced the eye at the inlet with a diverter. It diverts the water flowing back into the pool to the left, up against the wall so the flow follows the pool wall and creates the whirlpool effect. Then I added a Confer Skim-It leaf skimmer that mounts to the opening of the thru the wall skimmer. It works very well. skimmer.jpg I enclosed a photo of said skim-it, but it's not my pool .... lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.