Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Skimmer installation - location on Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Skimmer installation - location on Intex

Hi folks - I have purchased a Hayward Skimmer for my 18' x 52" Intex Ultra round pool. While there are several threads that provide specific installation instructions, there isn't too much on where to actually locate the skimmer for best perfomance. From pictures posted on various threads on this site, it seems that most folks install the skimmer between the existing intake and return; although a few folks have installed it a few panels further away from the return jet.

As you can see in the below pic, my return jet (left of pump) and intake (right of pump) are positioned with 1 "clear" panel between them. Water circulates clockwise as viewed from the perspective in the picture.

Additionally, I'm thinking of upgrading my current 1600 gph pump/.5 hp to a more powerfull pump next summer (Intex 3000 gph ?), and I am considering converting the existing intake to a dedicated vacuum port.

So, is there an optimal location to mount the skimmer for best perfomance given my set up?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated; I want to get this right the first time.

Thanks,
    Greg

Intex pool.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Skimmer installation - location on Intex

4.jpg Here is what I did to my 18' x 52" Intex. I used the original intake as an additional inlet to add a fountain made of PVC for fun with my Grandkids. I don't use it very much. When I relocate the pool location to the other side of the yard next year I am thinking of using that port as a vacuum connection as well. Before you Change to a larger pump, see what your difference in flow is after you add the skimmer. You will be surprised. My experience in this was great in that respect. Good luck, as far as where to put the skimmer I put mine where it would be the shortest distance to the pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

I installed mine at intex T and hard plumbed with SWG, fountain, and left original intake on , unsrcew cover and use as a vac. port, works well for me!
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Downwind of the prevailing fall wind. To help move the leaves to the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I should of mentioned that I replaced the eye at the inlet with a diverter. It diverts the water flowing back into the pool to the left, up against the wall so the flow follows the pool wall and creates the whirlpool effect. Then I added a Confer Skim-It leaf skimmer that mounts to the opening of the thru the wall skimmer. It works very well. skimmer.jpg I enclosed a photo of said skim-it, but it's not my pool .... lol

6. Back To Top    #6

Tx for all the great feedback everyone....much appreciated.

Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    1600 gph intex pump w 14" sand filter
    Hayward skimmer mod