Help me choose a Stenner injection point (plumbing pic inside)

Dec 6, 2014
TX
I am looking for advice on which injection point I should choose for my new Stenner pump.

1) Between heater and actuator valve Advantage - nice open area out of the way, thick coupling to tap into, able to sanitize spa if spa jets are running. Disadvantage - not after check valve, potential for bleach to enter heater, however, the Stenner should only run while pump is on.

2) Lower port on Rainbow 320 tab feeder Advantage - don't have to drill into plumbing. Disadvantage - danger of mixing tabs and liquid chlorine. What really are the risks here? I will likely never use tabs again and can label it very well to prevent others from doing it. I am more concerned about how well it needs to be cleaned out if it had tabs in it previously. Some posts say there is an explosion risk if it was EVER used for tabs in the past.

3) Top of t-fitting - I am afraid most of the injection will flow directly into the spa return and over-chlorinate the spa.

4) Bottom of t-fitting - I assume this is likely the best choice.

IMG_3392_zps4s53zmi8.jpg

I would put it just below the #4 arrow or to the right of #3, both pool and spa will be in the system.

John

Why do you recommend drilling/tapping into the straight PVC? Wouldn't it be better to drill/tap into the t-fitting that has a thicker wall section?

It seems like if I go to the right of #3, this would be so close to the Rainbow feeder that I might as well just inject into the bottom port of it. I really want to go this route to avoid drilling into my plumbing. I know many have done it with no issue but several experts seem to strongly recommend against it.

I would drill/tap the top of the T fitting directly above the pipe going down.

Cleaned out well the chlorinator would work, but it is just not a good idea to leave it so that the different forms of chlorine could be mixed in the chamber by someone other than you unknowingly.

Why do you recommend drilling/tapping into the straight PVC? Wouldn't it be better to drill/tap into the t-fitting that has a thicker wall section?

It seems like if I go to the right of #3, this would be so close to the Rainbow feeder that I might as well just inject into the bottom port of it. I really want to go this route to avoid drilling into my plumbing. I know many have done it with no issue but several experts seem to strongly recommend against it.

For starters are you 100% sure of the seal between the PCV pipe and fitting?

The pipe is thick enough and will not be under enough pressure to be an issue.

Just my opinion.

John

I am looking for advice on which injection point I should choose for my new Stenner pump.

1) Between heater and actuator valve Advantage - nice open area out of the way, thick coupling to tap into, able to sanitize spa if spa jets are running. Disadvantage - not after check valve, potential for bleach to enter heater, however, the Stenner should only run while pump is on.

2) Lower port on Rainbow 320 tab feeder Advantage - don't have to drill into plumbing. Disadvantage - danger of mixing tabs and liquid chlorine. What really are the risks here? I will likely never use tabs again and can label it very well to prevent others from doing it. I am more concerned about how well it needs to be cleaned out if it had tabs in it previously. Some posts say there is an explosion risk if it was EVER used for tabs in the past.

3) Top of t-fitting - I am afraid most of the injection will flow directly into the spa return and over-chlorinate the spa.

4) Bottom of t-fitting - I assume this is likely the best choice.

IMG_3392_zps4s53zmi8.jpg

Mine is in location 2. Very simple install, no drilling... I've had it there for two and a half years now and it has worked perfectly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.