Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me choose a Stenner injection point (plumbing pic inside)

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me choose a Stenner injection point (plumbing pic inside)

I am looking for advice on which injection point I should choose for my new Stenner pump.

1) Between heater and actuator valve Advantage - nice open area out of the way, thick coupling to tap into, able to sanitize spa if spa jets are running. Disadvantage - not after check valve, potential for bleach to enter heater, however, the Stenner should only run while pump is on.

2) Lower port on Rainbow 320 tab feeder Advantage - don't have to drill into plumbing. Disadvantage - danger of mixing tabs and liquid chlorine. What really are the risks here? I will likely never use tabs again and can label it very well to prevent others from doing it. I am more concerned about how well it needs to be cleaned out if it had tabs in it previously. Some posts say there is an explosion risk if it was EVER used for tabs in the past.

3) Top of t-fitting - I am afraid most of the injection will flow directly into the spa return and over-chlorinate the spa.

4) Bottom of t-fitting - I assume this is likely the best choice.

My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me choose a Stenner injection point (plumbing pic inside)

I would put it just below the #4 arrow or to the right of #3, both pool and spa will be in the system.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
    I would put it just below the #4 arrow or to the right of #3, both pool and spa will be in the system.

John
    Why do you recommend drilling/tapping into the straight PVC? Wouldn't it be better to drill/tap into the t-fitting that has a thicker wall section?

It seems like if I go to the right of #3, this would be so close to the Rainbow feeder that I might as well just inject into the bottom port of it. I really want to go this route to avoid drilling into my plumbing. I know many have done it with no issue but several experts seem to strongly recommend against it.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I would drill/tap the top of the T fitting directly above the pipe going down.

Cleaned out well the chlorinator would work, but it is just not a good idea to leave it so that the different forms of chlorine could be mixed in the chamber by someone other than you unknowingly.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by robbief00 View Post
    Why do you recommend drilling/tapping into the straight PVC? Wouldn't it be better to drill/tap into the t-fitting that has a thicker wall section?

It seems like if I go to the right of #3, this would be so close to the Rainbow feeder that I might as well just inject into the bottom port of it. I really want to go this route to avoid drilling into my plumbing. I know many have done it with no issue but several experts seem to strongly recommend against it.
    For starters are you 100% sure of the seal between the PCV pipe and fitting?

The pipe is thick enough and will not be under enough pressure to be an issue.

Just my opinion.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

6. Back To Top    #6

I did #4 on mine because of thicker material
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by robbief00 View Post
    I am looking for advice on which injection point I should choose for my new Stenner pump.

1) Between heater and actuator valve Advantage - nice open area out of the way, thick coupling to tap into, able to sanitize spa if spa jets are running. Disadvantage - not after check valve, potential for bleach to enter heater, however, the Stenner should only run while pump is on.

2) Lower port on Rainbow 320 tab feeder Advantage - don't have to drill into plumbing. Disadvantage - danger of mixing tabs and liquid chlorine. What really are the risks here? I will likely never use tabs again and can label it very well to prevent others from doing it. I am more concerned about how well it needs to be cleaned out if it had tabs in it previously. Some posts say there is an explosion risk if it was EVER used for tabs in the past.

3) Top of t-fitting - I am afraid most of the injection will flow directly into the spa return and over-chlorinate the spa.

4) Bottom of t-fitting - I assume this is likely the best choice.

Mine is in location 2. Very simple install, no drilling... I've had it there for two and a half years now and it has worked perfectly.
    Dallas, TX. 27,000 gallon in-ground free-form gunite. Built in 2007. DEL60 filter with single speed 2hp Hayward pump. Polaris 360 cleaner with associated booster pump. Stenner chlorine pump and tank. Intermatic P1353ME timer.