What do the experts keep on hand at all time?

TF-100 with enough reagents is #1 priority.

About 12-24 gallons of 12.5% bleach. Stored cool and dry. When I get below double digits, I check for sales. Memorial Day and Independence Day sales usually get me stocked for the summer.
1 gallon of muriatic acid stored separately from bleach, away from bare metal stuff and appliances.
I have borax and baking soda on hand only because we make other household cleaning products with them such as general purpose cleaner and sometimes laundry detergent. Otherwise, I'd only pick them up at the grocery store if I needed them.
1 4lb. container of HTH CYA just in case I need to raise CYA after a drain or just because. HTH I like best as the granules are very fine, dissolves faster than some.
Still have some buckets of overpriced baking soda, tablets, pH down from previous owner. They get moved around and generally are just still taking up space.

I keep on hand 3 things:

Bleach, Muriatic Acid, and a TF100!

Why do you use phosphate remover? If you are killing all the bad things in your pool that use P04's with proper amounts of chlorine I fail to see what possible difference it would make. Dead algae can't use phosphates...because, well, they are DEAD!

Agreed, last year one of my Leslie's encounters led to being steered to buying 4 containers or ALUM and phosfree............after adopting the TFP methods learning the truth about phosphates I quickly realized I do not need them. I assume this is just a filter aid and they market the product that it will reduce water ring from oils, fresher water etc.....

I don't think I will buy this again.

A couple of cases of 12.5% liquid chlorine
A gallon of muriatic acid
Maga bag of Baking soda from Costco, may last me a lifetime?
4lb jug of Stabilizer for CYA adjustment
A couple of hundred Lbs of DowFlake to raise CH & to melt the driveway ice in the winter!

Enough regents for the season

I keep an extra bag of salt, 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach, a bottle of CYA stabilizer, some muriatic acid, and a couple of cases of cold brews, LOL.
Seriously, though, the most important thing I keep for the pool is my TF-100 test kit. Everything else can pretty much be picked up as needed. But my pool is smaller, so I really don't need a lot of anything.

All I keep around is bleach and acid and the trichlor pucks I stick in the floater when I leave town for more than two days.

I've never needed to add Borax or Baking Soda or Calcium.

I hope you are aware that CYA only goes away by backwashing, splashout, or draining. You wroteIt's just going to build and build and build and eventually you'll start a thread complaining of the filter clogging rapidly, or the water looking cloudy or the water is green and the walls are slimy. What is your current CYA level? Do you need to raise it? If not, then why add more?

A gallon of bleach will not provide a week's worth of chlorination unless your pool is covered most of the time or is indoors. Your pool is almost as big as mine, and I use a quart of 12.5% every day. That's almost two gallons a week. If you use weaker grocery store bleach, figure more like three gallons a week. I'd look at that SWG and see if it's really not working or if there's something else going on that's consuming the FC as fast as it can generate it. An overnight loss test would tell you for sure, but your K-2005 test kit is incapable of measuring FC at the level you should have when running the test as well as measuring it accurately enough.

Yes, with the water slide and fountain frequently running I lose enough water that splashes outside of the pool I have a lot of runoff. I do not need to frequently add well water because we have so much rain here in northern Indiana my water level remains somewhat consistent. If anything I find I need to drain a little out sometimes. My CYA was often consistently low (<30) and and I would find myself adding in large amounts, right now I am at about 50. I was thinking the trichlor extended sticks would maintain and boost a pinch of chlorine at the same time. I have been monitoring this so it will not get to the point of adding too much. One stick is supposed to treat 5k gallons so I would need about 3 of them in there to use full time. When my CYA level gets to about 70 I will pull it out.

Thank you for commenting/confirming my chlorine use as I am now finding out I need to use more. I am using 10% so lets assume that I can get away with 2 gallons a week. My costs at $3.00 per gallon for 20 weeks of the year I have my pool open will be $120 dollars a year. A new T15 cell (40K gallons) is $400 where the T3 (15K gallon) cell is only $225 so my ROI would be about 2 years. If my cell is bad then it lasted 6 years total. Seems like the smart thing to do is downgrade to the T3.........

Be careful Going down to a t3 I saw some people have had issues going from a 15 to s 3. I would call the manufacturer to make sure you get then proper one for your system .... Just to play it safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.