First FAS-DPD Test

VinnyC

Jun 15, 2015
Forest Hill
So, after all my pool repairs and draining/refilling, I finally completed my first FAS-DPD test. Findings seem good to me for SLAM levels, please see below. Also, my pool floor is clean, there is virtually nothing floating on the top, and my water seems to be super clear. Still ugly, but that is due to a stained and nasty liner (to be replaced next year).

FC - 11.8 (25mil sample used)
CC - .8
pH - 7.3
TA ~ 80
CYA - Still waiting to retest. Last time, the reading wouldn't show using our test kit (too low). Added CYA 100% this morning, and will retest Thursday of next week.
Also, my cheapo water thermometer is reading about 85 degrees F

If anyone has advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
are you in the middle of a SLAM? if so, your FC looks good. as soon as the CYA is dissolved, your FC should be based on that. usually takes me 1 day to dissolve, but don't test for a week as you know.

no point in testing pH if your FC is over 10, the reading isn't accurate.

We just started to SLAM on Friday morning. Tested everything before starting the SLAM.
Midnight Friday night, FC level was 12.2 Going to test again in the morning to see if we dropped any. Thanks Yippee, we will be switching to that method. Thought the more accurate .2 ppm would be better, but not after counting out about 50 drops. Dont think the .2 vs .5 ppm will make that much difference.
I did notice before that even with added chlorine, algae was still growing. Could this simply be due to not enough FC? Our FC was pretty low, even with the addition of a full gallon of bleach.
Thanks, folks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.