Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First FAS-DPD Test

1. Back To Top    #1

First FAS-DPD Test

So, after all my pool repairs and draining/refilling, I finally completed my first FAS-DPD test. Findings seem good to me for SLAM levels, please see below. Also, my pool floor is clean, there is virtually nothing floating on the top, and my water seems to be super clear. Still ugly, but that is due to a stained and nasty liner (to be replaced next year).

FC - 11.8 (25mil sample used)
    CC - .8
    pH - 7.3
    TA ~ 80
    CYA - Still waiting to retest. Last time, the reading wouldn't show using our test kit (too low). Added CYA 100% this morning, and will retest Thursday of next week.
    Also, my cheapo water thermometer is reading about 85 degrees F

If anyone has advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by VinnyC; 07-24-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
    Forest Hill, MD \ AG 24 FT Round ~ 13,000 Gal \ Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5HP w/ Hayward S210T Pro Series Sand Filter\ Perhaps 2009 \ Taylor Complete High K-2005 Test Kit \ Well filled

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First FAS-DPD Test

are you in the middle of a SLAM? if so, your FC looks good. as soon as the CYA is dissolved, your FC should be based on that. usually takes me 1 day to dissolve, but don't test for a week as you know.

no point in testing pH if your FC is over 10, the reading isn't accurate.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

If you use just 10mL to test your FC, each drop would be 0.5 (in other words divide the drops by 2) This saves on reagents.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

We just started to SLAM on Friday morning. Tested everything before starting the SLAM.
    Midnight Friday night, FC level was 12.2 Going to test again in the morning to see if we dropped any. Thanks Yippee, we will be switching to that method. Thought the more accurate .2 ppm would be better, but not after counting out about 50 drops. Dont think the .2 vs .5 ppm will make that much difference.
    I did notice before that even with added chlorine, algae was still growing. Could this simply be due to not enough FC? Our FC was pretty low, even with the addition of a full gallon of bleach.
    Thanks, folks!
    Forest Hill, MD \ AG 24 FT Round ~ 13,000 Gal \ Hayward Power Flo LX 1.5HP w/ Hayward S210T Pro Series Sand Filter\ Perhaps 2009 \ Taylor Complete High K-2005 Test Kit \ Well filled

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yes, algae has this sneaky ability to cloak itself in a slime coat. It's one of the reasons why you read a lot of posts reminding folks to BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH all over and everywhere.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Yes, algae has this sneaky ability to cloak itself in a slime coat. It's one of the reasons why you read a lot of posts reminding folks to BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH all over and everywhere.
    Beat me to it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!