Lou's Pool

Jun 20, 2015
McDonald, TN
Recovering from GREEN pool.
I would like to get away from using all pool supplies except bleach.

Current pool test readings Using 5 way test kit and Blue Devil CYA test kit.
FC= 25
PH= 7.8
ALK= 90
CYA= 60

Pool conditions:
Pool was green and now is milky.
Pool test kit K-2006 ordered.
I am currently re-circulating water. Should I be filtering the water now or just let it re-circulate until clear?

You need to filter that baby...and brush daily....and read up on the SLAM procedure in Pool School. Sounds like you're gonna need it.

Have you put anything else in the water before deciding to forgo pool store supplies?

Hello and welcome. Well, you are a bit limited right now with just a 5-way kit, but you should be able to at least get your PH to about 7.2. Do that right now until your K-2006 arrives.
You will need to do a "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. It's very important you follow these instructions carefully once your kit gets in.

Until you receive your kit, simply add 1 gallon of regular liquid bleach to your water each night. That is not designed to clear everything, just keep it from getting too much worse. Once your K-2006 gets here, post some new test results and we can adjust treatment from there (more specific).

Have a nice weekend!

I am currently re-circulating water. Should I be filtering the water now or just let it re-circulate until clear?
The long winded answer is, " It depends."

Without getting too complex about your SLAM, you should be filtering now and expecting your pressure gauge to rise quite often. backwash as necessary.

Dilution method?
I used the dilution method. one part pool water and nine parts tap water. X 10.

- - - Updated - - -

The long winded answer is, " It depends."

Without getting too complex about your SLAM, you should be filtering now and expecting your pressure gauge to rise quite often. backwash as necessary.
We have been recirculating for a while, but are switching to filter now. thanks for your input.

I got my kit today. These are my new results:
FAS-DPD Test Results K-2006 Test Kit.

FC= 20
CC=1.5
TC=21.5
ALK=110
CH=60
CUA=80

Thank you for your help.....Lou
Welcome Lou.

You really need to drain/refill some of that pool to lower your CYA. With a CYA of 80ppm you need to reach and maintain FC at 31ppm to properly SLAM. That's a lot of bleach.

Do you know what your water table is? You need to drain & replace 1/2 your pool to try to get to a CYA of 40ppm or so to make the SLAM a FC of 16ppm instead. Depending on the water table in your area you might have to drain/refill multiple times of smaller % to avoid "floating" the pool out of the ground.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome Lou.

You really need to drain/refill some of that pool to lower your CYA. With a CYA of 80ppm you need to reach and maintain FC at 31ppm to properly SLAM. That's a lot of bleach.

Do you know what your water table is? You need to drain & replace 1/2 your pool to try to get to a CYA of 40ppm or so to make the SLAM a FC of 16ppm instead. Depending on the water table in your area you might have to drain/refill multiple times of smaller % to avoid "floating" the pool out of the ground.

Dom
Hey Dom, Thanks for the info about ground water. I didn't even think about floating my pool out of the ground.....Lou

To day I used my new Taylor K 2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit. I like it but takes getting used to.
I back washed i time today and brushed good all around. The water is still cloudy. I can't see the bottom on the shallow end. Will keep filtering and back washing and brushing.

FC= 14.5
CC= .5
TC= 15.0
ALK= 90
CH= 80
CYA= 100

Okay Lou, glad you have the kit now. Do you see you major issue right now based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart? Cloudy water means you need to be in the "SLAM" mode. With a CYA of 100, your FC needs to be at 39! That's a tough chore, and I just want to make sure you understand that FC level needs to stay there 24/7 until you pass all SLAM criteria.

Also, did you test your PH? I don't see that listed with your new kit. Remember Lou, a proper SLAM is the only way to clear your water. More filtering won't do it. If I were you, I would do another partial drain to get my CYA to at least to 50-60 range, then SLAM. Your call, but want to make sure you understand what is required. If you have any questions, just let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Lou, disregard the PH test right now. Your PH is too high for a reliable test anyways. :)

Congrats on the test kit! I'll warn you now, if that's not the K2006-C, your R-0871 (FC) reagent is a 0.75oz bottle & you better order a 2oz bottle now, you're going to need it. You'll eventually need more powder R-0870 too. If you need to do multiple drains/refills you'll burn through the R-0013 CYA reagent also. Might as well get the 2oz bottle.

If if you have the K2006-C you are good to get started with the slam.

1) You have to drain off some of that pool. The CYA test tops out at 100, you could be higher. You could do a diluted test, but IMO save the reagent for after your drain(s) & refill. Keep your FC above 12ppm, I'd stay closer to 15ppm.

2) After you drain/refill, if your FC is under 10ppm that would be the time to adjust pH. Anywhere between 7.2 - 7.6 is good, closer to 7.2 is better for the SLAM.

3) Target SLAM FC per your new CYA level. Remember, it's all about Maintaining that SLAM FC.

Good luck!

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.