Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just checking... SK Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Just checking... SK Newbie

Hello,
    I think I have to shock my pool, but wanted to check and make sure that is what is needed. Water is beautifully clear. I have an Intex SWG (copper disconnected) but have not been able to keep my FC level above 2-2.5 despite my CYA remaining consistently at desired level. I have added bleach, as directed by forum posts (initially to get the level up) and topped it up with for 2 days but my levels remain low. We are on well water, treated with Eliminate 1 to remove iron.

• FC - 2
    • PH - 7.4 -7.5
    • TA - 140
    • CH - 260
    • CYA - 40
    • ST - 3000ppm

If someone can confirm that, yes indeed a "shock" is needed, that would be great!

PS... love this site
    Intex 16'x48" round AG (5 061 gal); Intex Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (model 28677); Blue Wave 18-ft Round 8-mil Solar Blanket; Pool Blaster MAX Pool Cleaner; Taylor K-2006; Taylor K-1677 salt test; well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just checking... SK Newbie

Well before we give you too much advice, we must remind you that here at TFP we do not "shock" we SLAM. We have to say that ... it's in our DNA. ha. If you "suspect" you are losing too much chlorine over the course of the day, the best thing for you to do is an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). With this test, done during hours of darkness, you will know for sure if there are any organics (algae) in you water taking your FC. Besides what you see on the link above, a couple reminders:
    - Turn your SWG off when doing the OCLT
    - Make sure you bump-up your FC somewhere over 10 and/or close to SLAM. Just anything higher than normal to ensure you receive a true OCLT result.

If you fail the OCLT (lose more than 1ppm FC) then you know you need to "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. If you get to that point, check back in with us after reading that link provided and let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck, and have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay,
    So I did the OCLT last night. I lost just over 1 ppm (between 1 - 1.5 ppm - I tested twice to make sure). Should I "SLAM" the pool?
    Also, it is supposed to rain (4 inches) over the next 2 days. So can/should I wait until after the rain to SLAM?
    Intex 16'x48" round AG (5 061 gal); Intex Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (model 28677); Blue Wave 18-ft Round 8-mil Solar Blanket; Pool Blaster MAX Pool Cleaner; Taylor K-2006; Taylor K-1677 salt test; well water

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, time to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. No need to wait rain won't change much and the algae will only get worse.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach