Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are about a week out from the start of our build and I am so conflicted about either a spillover hot tub or a free-standing spa. One big part of the decision is how to heat the spillover. We do not have natural gas or a large propane tank currently. I'm wondering about electric? I understand that the gas is much, much quicker, but boy does it sound really expensive! A local gas company said that the 400,000 BTU heater my builder quoted will most likely use 4 gallons per hour! Eeeekkkk!

I would love to get some feedback...

Thank you in advance!

Sara

If you're just going to heat the spa and given your climate, a heat pump should work fine. It won't be anywhere near as fast as propane, and I wouldn't even consider it if you plan on heating the pool, but it'll work ok for the spa.

You'll need to have the spa plumbed so that it can be operated as a stand-alone when you want to heat it.

We are about a week out from the start of our build and I am so conflicted about either a spillover hot tub or a free-standing spa. One big part of the decision is how to heat the spillover. We do not have natural gas or a large propane tank currently. I'm wondering about electric? I understand that the gas is much, much quicker, but boy does it sound really expensive! A local gas company said that the 400,000 BTU heater my builder quoted will most likely use 4 gallons per hour! Eeeekkkk!

I would love to get some feedback...

Thank you in advance!

Sara

Sure it will use 4 gallons an hour but it won't take long to heat the spa. Once you isolate the water to just the spa and turn the heater on, it won't take very long to heat it up. Then to maintain the temp won't be very much either. Don't let the gallons per hour scare you. Unless you decide to use the heater to heat the pool. Then you better consider getting the kids piggy banks and break them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.