Hi! New Pool Owner

Welcome to TFP! :handwave:

Check out some articles in Pool School and specifically there is an article on conversion to chlorine from Bacqua pools.

Is your location Somerset, WI or other? It is helpful to have the state/region so we know more about how to handle pools that close or may not close or general climate differences that affect pools. Adding that to your location would be great. Good to see you already have some great detail in your signature. :)

Hey there Minnie :)

Are you happy with the Bacquicil? A lot of folks here on this forum complain about the cost and the water quality, and seek help in getting it out of their pools.

Either way, you'll learn a lot here. Skippy and I sure have!

Well, so far it hasn't been bad and I really have nothing to compare it to. The water has been so soft and clear even with all the rain we just had. I had one problem where it started getting a little hazy but I used a floculant(sp) as a filter aid and redirected my valve that pushes the water into the pool towards the middle and down and it cleared up overnight!

The other problem I had which is really not a problem was I added too much algicide once and it foams up a bit if you kick around.

I would love to convert to a salt water system maybe next year. I heard it is less expensive.

We have a "loaner" ladder till we build our deck and have had some trouble with it. We are trying to rectify it. The steps float till you go down the side into the pool. I guess that's okay but
We have buried the outside part into the ground to make it a bit more stable. You think it needs weights and the pool pad some said they use here?

Welcome to the forum!

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. If you want to really do the right thing, I would order one of these test kits tonight. Do not rely on pool store testing - it is notably inaccurate and they will use those results to sell you all sorts of chemicals you do not need that will cost you way more than this test kit.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Welcome to TFP. We don't really see many BAQ pools because of the problems that arise from the use of BAQ. Most members get rid of it through a conversion in the BAQ Forum and are so happy to get rid of it, they never look back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much! I am a new pool owner with many questions.

I would like to change my pool next year to the salt one. Bacquicl is nice but so expensive. Is my equipment and pool capable of handling it? Which one do you recommend and do you like it?

I am going to close my pool soon and have been using baquicil. Do I need to do anything to the water and filter before closing it?

Can you recommend a pool cover for me?

I'm sorry I can't advise on a SWG if there are specific ones for above ground pools because I'm unsure of how the plumbing is set up on them? But I know AG folks do have them...and your pool is plenty big so you'll love how it simplifies your life.

You want one that is about 2x larger (size wise in gallons) than your pool. My Compupool is sized for 36,000 gallons so I don't have to run it long or at a high demand % since its oversized. This helps give me a longer life span on the device at minimal increase in cost over a smaller SWG.

You'll add lots of bags of pool salt before starting the SWG up but then you shouldn't have to add more very often as the salt only departs the pool with water exchange. I've only had to add like 40 pounds once in 3 years to boost my level. The salt makes the water feel nice and soft, just like fancy bath salts do to your bathtub. The SWG takes the salt water and breaks it down to make chlorine and then once its back into the pool it returns to salt again. Its a pretty cool continuous loop.

Hi Thanks! Sounds nice. Who is "AG"? Do they sell them on a website for above ground pools?
Should I convert my pool from Bacquicil before I close for the winter or wait? Is it more effective to just change the water? The pool people left some wrinkles in the liner when filling the pool and the sand underneath is lumpy. I think from all the rain. Don't know if that hurts the pool or not. Any advice there?
Also looking for advice on a pool cover for the winter.